Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Jay About the Ol' Trunkey in the Tradesmen's Entrance!


I am possibly ashamed of that title but I think the reference is a good one so it stays! So why would I be dropping that classic?  An Ode to the English my friends.  Last night I had a "business meeting" then dropped off our latest Dexter episode at Waterfront Video.  The first thing I noticed was the line out the door at the post office of last second suckers mailing their taxes.  I have been doing that online for awhile and this year we got a tax guy.  I hope I have not jinxed myself into an audit?!

So as I walk past these people and think to myself, "why don't you just pay the $30 and file these through Turbotax?", I notice it... Union Jacks!  I have seen this fish and chips dive in the strip mall many times and now seemed like the perfect time to check it out.  My lady had plans and I was on my own for chow.  I should have been alarmed that there was not anyone in the shop (seriously not one person) nor did it look like anyone had been there for awhile.  That is never a good sign.  If the food is good people will find their way in.  Oh well, maybe they dominate the Subaru dealership lunch crowd. I glanced at the expansive menu but when you are in a fish and chips place for the first (and possibly only) time you get the fish and chips right?  There are tables but the decor is nothing special and it is a little dingy, although you could get a decent view of the kitchen and it seemed ok.  I took a gander at some supposed English rag that is imported or possibly even published in San Diego while I waited.  Nothing special.  They all seem pretty fired up about the upcoming nuptials.  Better happen fast, Prince William is losing real estate on the top of his head at an alarming pace.  Hey, I know from experience dude!  After a short wait they wrapped my food in a clean white piece of sandwich paper and then the requisite newspaper tossed a couple malt vinegar packets and a tartar sauce in the bag and I was on my way.

Now to an extent my plan was fatally flawed because I ordered fried food and had a 20 minute drive ahead of me leaving too much dead space for the fish and chips to get soggy which to an extent they did.  The fish was not too fishy and the batter was pretty good.  The grease tasted a little un fresh and the whole thing was pretty heavy.  The best fried fish always has the fried goodness but the grease is regularly changed and you do not feel like you are eating 16349339873 calories of fried stuff (even though you are).  I also generally like a piece of fish that is flaky and looks really fresh where this one was most likely frozen for an undetermined amount of time.  The fries were also ok but I should have eaten them post haste.  Overall the service was friendly and prompt, it was not too expensive and the food was about as expected for a strip mall English fast food joint in Vermont.  I'd give it one fried thumb sideways, I have nothing against it but am not sure I have a return engagement in the near future.  I have already booked a space to watch the royal wedding so don't worry about it.  McKee's Pub!  I am pretty sure that is English or Irish... whatever, they are like family right?!

No comments: