Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Jay About Movies


Had a nice long weekend, went to see my folks on Easter which was nice.  We also had a movie/dinner shindig and that was fun.  Heck, Friday I rolled solo w/ a day off.  I slept in, had some breakfast, watched the Price is Right, did a little housework, and even read a book for a little while.  It was great.  I am reading Bill Simmons basketball tome and it is pretty great.  I am a pretty big b-ball fan and I like his writing style quite a bit so it all adds up to mucho enjoyment for me.  Plus you can pick it up and put it down w/out losing plot or anything. 

So this post is about 2 movies we recently watched.  On Saturday our event was Spanish themed so we picked out a Guillermo del Toro movie... The Devil's Backbone.  I will give anyone $10 if you can tell me what the f*ck this movie was about!  Now to be fair I had a little sangria before we got started and I do not speak Spanish but seriously?!  I also think a thorough background in the communist regime in Spanish and the resulting war would be helpful but still?!  I did not hate it and thought it was fine but I seriously lost the message and thought a few of the characters became caricatures of Spanish archetypes.  Yeah, whose the smart guy now?! Huh? HUH?!?!  1 thumb hitchhiking to confusion town.

Last night was themed "A Night in the Noosk".  I am never really going  in the direction of Winooski although it is a cool little downtown w/ a few bars and restaurants and it is worth spending more time there for sure.  Well my buddy T-Pain and I went across the river after work and hit up the Monkey Bar for a whiskey and water.  It was actually pretty busy for a Monday at 5:30?  We joked around and had a couple drinks until my special lady showed up... that's when the laughs stopped.  Just kidding. She did have a drink w/ us then we cruised over to Tiny Thai for a bite.  It was cheap and acceptable as usual.  Then it was back to the mainland to relax for the evening.  We decided to watch an HBO movie on demand and the choice was Invictus.  What a piece of crap... I spent the whole movie playing Angry Birds.  How do you make a sports movie revolving around Nelson Mandela and the coming together of post Apartheid South Africa emotionally vacant?  The acting was wooden.  The movie was not short but it never fully developed any of the characters.  You never really became attached to anyone even the Mandela character.  The end was ok when the big rugby match goes down but who the hell knows the rules to rugby?  So you sit there and watch dudes grapple, then the whistle blows, then they kick the ball, the the whistle blows, then they grapple but nothing really happens, the some guy runs 2 feet and is tackled, then the whistle blows... that went on for 30 minutes.  It was like watching high school field hockey but played by soccer hooligans who are not allowed to throw punches.  I was bored.  Probably would have fallen asleep except Angry Birds kept me awake.  1 thumb kind of angling down.  This movie should have been Sylvester Stallone Victory but was more like watching steam come off a warm turd. So there.

No comments: