Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Goodbye Old Friend



I don't remember when we first met... I can't really say the longest we have been apart.  But I do know this is the end for awhile and I am a little broken up about it.  Yup, I am talking about cable TV. With two newborn babies in the mix I have neither the time nor the inclination to drop the $3,095,485/month they charge for the service. I remember as a child waking up early (like 6AM) and watching old cartoon reruns while my dad got ready for work.  Underdog, The Flinstones, Dudley Do-Right. They were all wonderful. The weekend Creature Double Feature on WBZ channel 56 and The Three Stooges Sunday morning. I watched old Three's Company reruns after school always thinking house awesome it would be to hang at the Regal Beagle. TV shows were events. You stayed home to watch The Dukes of Hazard on Thursday night, or Knight Rider.  Old MTV with the VeeJays like Martha Quinn and Mark Goodman... back when they actually played music videos all day and an adolescent could get their boob fix from a Duran Duran video.  HBO was a revelation. That logo flying through the city before every new movie that got you so fired up.  It took like 3 years for movies to get to video and HBO back then not the 2 months it does today.  Plus you had Friday night After Dark which I believe was on HBO before it moved to Skinemax. That was great when you could sneak down to watch it.  I remember how confused I was when I went to a buddies house and he only had 3 channels? Were are the rest? In college I watched very little TV but still usually caught the 5PM Simpsons/Seinfeld hour.  I am a TV junkie and I freely admit it. Even recently I have been know to reflexively flick on the TV when I get home to watch Seinfeld or Sportscenter or even The Big Bang Theory.   Before I got married I loved grabbing the Sunday Globe a coffee and sandwich and watching the Sox on a Sunday.

All gone. All gone.  I turn on the TV and it is just black.  I don't even have an antenna for basic channels.  Sure I have Netflix but you don't have the pure joy of just flipping the channels.  I don't even care what I am watching sometimes... I just flip.  Sometimes I come upon something new and exciting, or at least mind numbing.

So I bid you a fond farewell Cable.  I may see you again and I hope I do but in the meantime we will have to sneak little moments, at a hotel or the bar, illicit rendezvous. I will mourn our lost relationship but I am moving on.  It has to be this way. No no, don't say a word and don't weep... it will be better this way.




No comments: