Thursday, April 25, 2013

Jay About F*ing Sequestration



I was set to go for a conference in Charleston this week. I set up easy flights from Burlington, VT to JFK, to SC. I gave myself plenty of layover time so there would be no issues. On my way down the pilot came online and said in Burlington we had to leave early and hope we could land in JFK as sequestration cuts were killing flights. We got to NY and I immediately saw my next flight was delayed by a half hour or so... no big deal.  I also noticed almost every flight to Florida was delayed or cancelled. uh oh.  Well, that 30 minutes turned into over three hours. Needless to say I was pretty annoyed and lit when I finally got to Charleston. They kept blaming sequestration and saying there was nothing they could do.  I had noticed a large chunk of flights were delayed. It was ugly.  The conference was great.  Time to come home yesterday, I was already a little nervous about my late JFK flight, it often is delayed and is already a late one.  Well, sure enough in Charleston we were his with a 30 minute delay that turned into over 2 hours. Apparently there was fog rolling into NYC although we heard from several people that there was very little fog in the area. Don't jets fly via computer for the most part anyway?  Well, I checked my connection and... BAM!  Cancelled.  F***!! I asked them what they could do for me.  They put me on the early flight the next morning and offered me a distressed hotel price call in number.  After being put on hold for 15 minutes I was told to call back, they could not find anything.  I called back and they offered me a room at the Ramada Inn on Staten Island for $190.  Staten Island?!?!?  $190?!?!?! That is distressed?  The only thing distressed was me!!!!  The typical rate for that hotel is $152/ night.  F*** you Jetblue and f*** you JFK.  I was surprisingly cool through the process and karma rewarded me w/ a good guy from our business partner company who offered to put me up for the night. That was a solid and very helpful move. This morning I only had a 45 minute delay on a sunny day waiting for planes to get out.  So write your Congress person and thank them for the Sequestration.  They are not taking a pay cut but sure are f*cking up your day!

I am also officially banning the Cobblestone Deli.  There food is not great and the service is just a complete mess. You might as well bring a tent because you will be there awhile while they write out your order in long hand and then spend 20 minutes trying to cut a piece of ham.

No comments: