Friday, November 28, 2008

Man, I have got a bad case of Turkey Farts!


Yup, I am triptofaning balls! Nah, I am actually at work trying to snuff out the 4 other people here by means of turkey gas induced asphyxiation. Another pretty successful Thanksgiving in the books and what have we learned? Well, it was a much smoother process at the Bird household this year. My special lady read an article in the NYTimes on how to run T-Day like a business. She took the role of CEO, made me COO (that's right, nepotism bitches!), everyone else was assigned to worker bee status. It went beautifully. Dinner was prepared well, efficiently, and we kept the house pretty clean throughout the day. So here were the highlights... Once again we rocked the brined turkey. The turkey gets soaked in a salt water and spice bath for 18 hours and then cooked. It stays moist, a little salty and a little sweet, and alot of delicious! We also brought back the potato cake, almost sans butter (thanks Grand Marnier). That is always a holiday winner, but really how could potato, butter, and 2 cheeses not work?! I must admit I bailed on the turnip though I heard they were good. I did eat the garlic fried brussel sprouts which were good. There was a great cranberry relish and awesome gravy. The gravy is also salty sweet and gets great flavor from fresh marjoram and a splash of calvados (apple brandy). My favorite is the stuffing. It is a multiple step process involving sausage, apples and parsnips sauteed in the sausage grease, and a heavy dose of onions and celery. It is sick, in a good way. Desert was the capper, w/ the now traditional individual gingerbread cakes topped w/ homemade caramel sauce and whipped cream. We also had an orange, apple, cranberry pie. Hot dog! It was a great dinner, great fun w/ family, and a nice day all around. Next stop... the shitshow we affectionately call Christmas!!!

No comments: