Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Jay About Prohibition Pig (and other stuff)



It was a nice weekend, mostly sunny and warm.  After messing around w/ the house on Sat. we went for a mellow hike Sunday and then stopped for a quick bite at the Prohibition Pig in Waterbury.  It was started by the beer guru from the Flatbread/Farmhouse juggernaut.  I had heard very mixed reviews but it was always going to be difficult to live up to the legacy of The Alchemist.  We went w/ low expectations.  The space is nice and well decorated w/ a lovely bar filled w/ pickled vegetables and fantastic liquors. The bar is bigger at the expense of the dining room but I prefer it that way.  The beer menu is extensive as is the liquor and drink menu.  It is also the only bar w/ Heady Topper on tap that I am aware of.  We settled on a Lawson's Double Sunshine and then ordered a pot of pickled veggies and a burger w/ cheddar.  The veggies were nice w/ good vinegar tang and a nice touch of heat from what looked like Thai chilies.  The burger was also good.  There was a nice chunk of cheddar on a well cooked burger on top of a nice buttery roll.  I liked it better than the farmhouse burger, maybe less than that of the Bluebird Tavern.  Overall I thought the experience was good, liked the food and drink... service was good, it was a little expensive. 1 1/2 thumbs up.

Couple other things... We watched Crazy, Stupid, Love on HBO.  It was surprisingly entertaining and worth a look if you have cable.  Also on HBO, the new Jeff Daniels show The NewsRoom.  I liked it alot.  The opening scene was excellent.  One of the better things I have seen on that channel of late.

And today is best of all... While getting my septic pumped we found that the septic pipe was busted and sewer pouring into the basement.  Fantastic.  I know have a hole in the yard, ripped up plants, a big pile of dirt, and tire tracks all over the lawn.  I love owning a house... it's f*ing great... 2 thumbs way up.  My ass!!!!

No comments: