Monday, June 11, 2012

Glad It's Monday!



These beautiful sunny weekends are just killing me!  I couldn't wait to get back to my freezer box office where it is 25 degrees, I can't see the outside at my new desk seat, and most days I would like to scoop my eyes out w/ a spoon.  What a relief!  So this was a beautiful weekend.  We went to a wedding at the All Souls Gathering place in Shelburne and it was lovely.  My headache the next morning tells me I might have had too many Bud Lights but the setting in unparalleled, the service was nice, the band was great, and the whole party was quite enjoyable.  Congrats AH!  The next day we woke up early and I painted most of the day.  Not the good happy little trees painting either.  Good to get stuff done around the house though. 

So the new and improved Free Press w/ its bulkier Mon.-Wed. editions?  12 pages today.  12.  Not much going on I suppose.  Except for a bailout of Spain, the French Open, Euro Cup, the crazy Kennedy wife, the Commerce Sec. getting in a hit and run accident, any of the ongoing issues in VT including our aging population, inability to bring in decent size businesses, red tide... but hey, they did give a shout out to Jazz Fest!

So business must be pretty good here in Vermont for contractors. I have been trying to get some windows replaced and it took weeks to get quotes from suppliers.  They were reluctant to advise me on installers which is odd.  I am not going to buy a window if I cannot get it put into the house?  Now I am waiting weeks on installation quotes.  They are just quotes?  Seriously, you are so busy you cannot carve out time to quote a job for several thousands of dollars?  I am not a pro and I may do a shitty job but I am thinking about starting up a construction firm called ON TIME productions.  Our work may be only ok but we will call you back and in a timely manner and then we will give a reasonable time frame to complete a job and then do it in that time frame.  Sounds like a slam dunk right?  One guy that did do some pretty good work for us was Mark w/ Pleasant Valley Landscaping.  Time was a small issue but he did get the work done in a decent turn around and it looks pretty solid so kudos for that... I'd give them another look.

Overall I am not sure why Vermont runs on island time.  This is not Jamaica.  We are very near urban centers and we should strive to do good work on time no?  Instead service here sucks.  Want to get a lamp on a Wed. a 2PM?  Good luck, that store closes at 1 on Wednesdays and is not open on the weekends... on Monday.  Getting your shoes cobbled?  That will take 3 months.  They guy is only open every other Thursday from 11AM-noon.  And he will be pissed to are interrupting his fishing time when you do show up.  How about a beer and burger?  Sorry the waitress is busy chatting w/ the bartender about her weekend plans.  He won't pour the beer either because he is also busy not working.  If you complain they will act put out because you bothered them on "their time".  Enjoy the spit on your overcooked burger!  There are maybe 5 places in this state that take pride in their service and work and I applaud them and will pay up gladly for that service.  Of course I am screwed here and pay up unintentionally for the shitty service too. 

That is why I only post infrequently now... I am turning native!

No comments: