Friday, November 5, 2010

Jay About Umphrey's Mcgee


Been a big week for ol' Jaybird... between work outings and my oh so busy social calendar I have been out pretty consistently this week. Last night my special lady and I went over to Higher Ground to check out Umphrey's McGee. We knew them as a jam band often featured on the jam station or somehow connected to Phish/The Dead. Well, I will tell you one thing, this was the heaviest jam band I have heard. They were definitely more Allman Brothers but more Chicago blues than dirty south. The band went into all sorts of musical space but they managed to consistently rock. We really enjoyed a techno jam that was really out there. I don't know the tunes by name so I won't even pretend to tell you what they were. It was a fun show and even though we were both wiped we had a good time. They played from 9-12 so it was a full evening. One downside was that the concert was full of stinky teenagers and college kids. Nothing is worse than some punk high school kid w/ BO bumping into you repeatedly because they cannot handle those 2 Keystone Lights they took down before the show. Unlike a cool guy like me that can handle almost 4 Switchbacks before I start to repeatedly bump into you. Yeah, how you like me now?! One bit of controversy was the mash up of Journey (Don't Stop) and Rush (i forget the name of the tune). I liked it... my wife not so much. She thought it was cheesy but I liked the cheese. I'd give it a thumb up w/ upside potential as it only cost $20 and I was tired.

No comments: