Monday, November 1, 2010

Jay About the Kitchen Table


The Birds don't do Halloween so let's just get that out of the way. Well, sometimes we do but I could not find any cool Power Ranger outfits... I like the green one. So, on Saturday my special lady and I worked around the house and then headed for a romantic dinner at the Kitchen Table in Richmond. We had not been there for awhile and thought... hey, what the f***?! It was great. Seriously, it was really good. The service was courteous, friendly, and pretty polished. The drinks were solid, the wine list pretty good, and the food was well executed comfort fare. We started w/ a cocktail, I had a nice Manhattan and A-bird went with a champagne/ elderflower thingy she really liked. We shared a salad of mixed greens that had tasty poached pear with tangy chevre and very nice candied nuts (hahaha... nuts!). For our entrees, My lady had a steel head trout that was excellent portion size and cooked just right. It tasted great and was not at all fishy in an unpleasant way. I had a braised short rib Shepard's pie that was off the hook. It came in a piping got cast iron bowl. The ribs were just a little fatty and fell apart on the fork. The mashed potato was delicious and the roasted veggies were exceptional. I crushed it and then sopped up the remaining broth w/ some bread. Desert was creme brulee. My only complaint w/ the dinner was that the top of the brulee was a little sticky and not as crackly and brittle as I might like. The custard itself was fantastic w/ a really nice and fresh vanilla flavor. The bill was a little steep but fair. Overall I would give it 1 7/8th thumbs up, we really had a nice time.

No comments: