Thursday, April 8, 2010

Silver linings


So we had my grandmother's funeral in Maine yesterday and it was very nice. There were clouds early and late but the sun came out in force for the service and it was a lovely service. My uncles were all there and it was special. I think Gram would have found it fitting. We also were treated to some of the family's baking magic. The biscuits were amazing, as were the ginger cookies. Really solid stuff. While in Maine my special lady and I were treated to a couple fun meals. In Augusta, A-bird did a little digging and we found a cool brew pub in Halowell which is either part of Augusta or just south... it was 5 miles south of the Civic Center. The street was really cool with coffee shops, music, bars, and cool looking shops. Real urban revival in a pretty generally rundown city if you ask me. Anyway, we hit up the Liberal Cup for a beer and some chow. The space was cozy and truly pub style. Service was friendly but slow. The in-house beer was solid. They did not have the IPA on tap but the stout was pretty good and the porter was very good. As for the food... wow. Very rich! We shared a delicious french onion soup and a small caesar salad and we could have called it there. But then, I had a prime rib quesedilla which had very tender flavorful beef but was so filling I started to sweat sitting still. My wife had a fish sandwich, richly breaded haddock w/ cheese on buttered kaiser roll. I think we should have asked for a handcart for desert! Overall 1 3/4 thumbs up, great atmosphere reasonable prices and good beer. Quick bonus, we ran into my freshman hall monitor (JC) Ben at the bar. I have not seen or thought about that guy in 15 years and we ran into him at a bar we found almost by accident in a city we were staying in for 1 night randomly. Small world I suppose.


Yesterday afternoon we were driving the long drive back to VT and food options seemed pretty slim. Then, out of nowhere... we come across the Sunday River Brewery! Jackpot!!!! We were able to sit on the deck under the sun and have a microbrew and some lunch. The IPA here was good, the porter was also good, so was the seasonal hefeweizen. For lunch, we shared some addictive sweet potato fries, a so so caesar salad and then a pretty ok buffalo chicken wrap. The wrap was good, the chicken was pretty good, the sauce was only ok and they needed more blue cheese. Another 1+ thumb up experience though for the atmosphere, the service, the price, and the beer!


It was a sad day and I almost lost it a few times but there is always some good that comes from the bad. It was nice to be with family and to remember the good times... and there were many. So now I guess we move on.

No comments: