Tuesday, October 9, 2007

A mini pub crawl


So one reason I put this bad dog online was that I really enjoy writing little bursts about things, places, and experiences I have come across. I really enjoy little things and have found that I have become a cosmic intersection of weird and funny shit. I had been posting some things for the folks in my office and I really enjoyed that but at a certain level, due to time contraints (and some possible legal constraints), it made sense for me to find a different outlet for my energies. I have never been very good at keeping journals so this may fizzle like Corey Haim's career (minus the coke, spiked hair, and excessive weight).


On Sunday, my special lady had put in a bunch of hours doing schoolwork (she is hooking up an MBA so I can be a stay at home husband) and deserved a break. We decided on a trip to the big city... Burlington! As this is the intranet, I challenge the 2 people who don't know me to guess what state?! First stop? The Bangkok Bistro for a martini and appetizer. Let's just get this out of the way, the extra dry Bombay Saphire martini (his) and the Ketel One w/ a twist (hers) were large and in charge! The veggie egg roll was also quite nice. But here is where the real action was at! We sat at the bar, another couple deep in conversation to our left... a solo guy reading a book to our right. Game in hand I was wearing my Red Sox hat when the guy looked over and asked in a thick Mass accent (I guessed dorchester, he said vaguely North Shoa), "what was the final scoa?". This opened up a little dialogue about name, occupation, hometown, etc... "GUY" was from the North Shoa, worked on 18 wheeler automatic engines, was a good looking well kept guy, and was reading one of my favorite books... Dostoesky's "The Idiot". "GUY" had read several of "this guy's books". Small talk aside the conversation was over right? WRONG!!! "GUY" went on to tell us all about Canada; the banking system, Toronto Dominion, crossing the border, the girls, his girlfriends in Montreal (those are strippers to you and me), how Canada was the most fiscally sound country in the world, and how Canadian banks forgave almost all overdrafts in lieu of simple low interest payments, far lower than here in the States. I have to admit, between trying to ignore him and the martini, I lost most of the conversation... the gist being that Canada is much nicer, cleaner, friendlier, and better managed than the U.S. of A.! What I did notice is that he kept mentioning vague run ins w/ the law and how he was able to talk his way out of issues w/ the MAN here and North of the border. I was already a little alarmed and trying to wiggle our way out. That's when "GUY" mentioned something that was no big deal but was on his record and gave hime problems in Canada. I won't mention it, it may be no big deal...or it may get you killed in prison! CHECK PLEASE!!!!


Stop number 2... Taste. We had visited this spot a few times before but it had been awhile. We had been just passing by but decided to poke our heads in for a look. It was warm in temperature and overall atmosphere. Upon entry we immediatly ran into my man Jimmy B waiting for a table, w/ his special lady, his sister, and nephew. What I didn't know was that Jim was the mayor of Taste. He talked it up, gave us a drink recomendation, and put in a word w/ the bartender, Carol!! Hot Dog, it was go time!!!! Now let me tell you a secret, Jay About Town is no stranger to a fruity cocktail. I am married and a huge lady killer... no worries about my manliness my friends!!! We hit up the special "Stonefruit Martini" and it was as advertised! A special concoction made up w/ care and love by the owner chef himself and boozed up from our very busy but professional and nice mixologist Carol. We then rocked another app., the veggie fritters w/ a sweet peanut sauce. Another winner, they were quite good! After that I was a little martini'd out and it was time to go home.


Overall, I give the evening 2 solid thumbs up... doesn't get much stranger than that for a 3 hour study break!!! I always enjoy the Bangkok's martinis and suggest them to anyone w/ a driver and bit of courage. I also am going to put Taste back in the mix and try dinner in the near future... the moral there is sometimes a place needs to grow into it's own!!! And w/ a cloud of dust and a hearty High-Ho!


2 comments:

sumofather said...

I noticed that your review of the Bangkok Bistro was absent of the special entertainment.As you are putting back your favorite martini the dishwasher comes out to replenish the glassware. First time I did a triple take (thinking the steam from the glasses was creating an illusion or I had seven too many drinks) until I realized that this must be the "Illustrated Man's" grandchild. Complete face and arms covered in tattos resembling some green serpentine reptile. Can only imagine what the rest of the body looks like. Makes me think twice about drinking out of a glass whrn out on the town..........back to my old familiars, Stellas & Coronas out of a bottle. Sounds like he did not make it out to the bar when you were there or he has moved moved on with the carnies, or better yet......... bought a laser machine.

Anonymous said...

HI! I love it.. You are a great writer. I still have some of your originals.