Monday, June 23, 2014

Jay About Queen City Brewery



This weekend I met up w/ pals LB and DG to continue my recent tour of the 193759475 new breweries in Vermont. This week's entry was the Queen City Brewery on Pine Street in Burlington. This one has been percolating for some time... the sign popped up months ago and it has been in the news for awhile but they finally opened a couple weeks ago. I can see why the delay, this was one of the biggest operations I have seen. They are much bigger than the other start ups I have recently visited and are much bigger even than Switchback was when I visited the early 00's and even Hill Farmstead before the recent renovations. Interesting it is such a large operation for a brewery with no retail bar and a tough road against all of the other competitors out there? The space itself is nice. Housed in an industrial building behind an old dry cleaning business they have that rustic industrial look down, complete w/ a old Ford (I think) hauled up on a platform 20 feet above the bar. The horseshoe shape bar is a pretty good size to accommodate the tasting crowd. They have about 20 taps for their 4 beers. Seriously. But the presentation is nice, they are nice cleanly branded glasses in homemade wood blocks. The beer itself is pretty good. We tried two Belgians, an amber and traditional that were a little thin but pretty solid. There was an ESB that was not my favorite but the style in general is not my favorite. They also had a porter I liked and brought a mini growler back to the homestead. Overall, it was a friendly and clean scene but lacking much character. The beer was similar. I liked it fine but not as much as 4 Qtrs. in the 'Noosk. Check it out but manage your expectations. If you like the Old World type beers like for instance, an ESB you might dig it, if you like hoppy delights... well, you may like it because new things are fun and they have a good attitude. I'll be curious to see how they do getting it out there in the crowded space? 1 thumb up.

We stopped at Frannie O's and watched a bit of soccer afterwards. It was excellent in a hilarious way.

World War Z... well, the parts I stayed awake for were a giant pile of useless poop. Shitty movie. 1 thumb down.

No comments: