Monday, June 9, 2014

Jay About Citizen Cider... and Switchback




It's a two-fer! Why the f*** not?!?! So anywho, it was a sunny day last Friday and we decided to check out the new Citizen Cider tasting room on Pine Street. I would be the first to admit that while I like some cider products ok, and some very much, it is never my go to drink. When I was in college we went to England, you ordered cider at the end of the night because it cost half as much as beer so it was a good way to extend your pound and your buzz. Next was the Woodchuck cider movement. I think that stuff is pretty gross. But then farmers up here realized it was more profitable to sell booze than to host apple picking and we started to get some nice drier, more nuanced offerings. Still, I am a beer guy.

So how about Citizen Cider? Their flagship the Unified Press is fine, a little sweet. I have had a couple of the other ones and they were also too sweet. So why go to the recently opened bar/tasting room? Because I am willing to keep an open mind and I love a tasting room!  The space looks suspect from the outside but inside it is a beautiful light and airy retro industrial space. Nice long bar and open areas to mingle, or chill and sip cider. Of course besides the 8 or so ciders on tap they also have a decent booze selection with some very nice high end choices and a few beers on tap. And food. We started w/ a flight of 5. You get to choose your mix which is nice. I passed on ones I knew were not for me and went w/ the more esoteric and and drier options. I thought the Stan was really nice... dry, not very sweet, and almost champagne like w/ a more bready thing going on. I also thought the Northern Spy and the Dirty Mayor were very solid. The Dirty Mayor was a little sweeter but the ginger really kept it on the up and up. We shared a hot pretzel, it was pretty good. The coup de grace was the cider w/ the bourbon back. The key was mixing the bourbon right in with the cider, in my case the Stan. It made for an exceptional cocktail. A little sweet, boozy, a little old man-esque, slightly fizzy. Just a nice summertime drink. Makes me want one right now! Fun time, I will be back.

I stopped by quickly to check out the new Switchback storefront. While still under construction it also was a nice clean wood, steel, and glass space that makes for a nice tasting experience. I nice young woman was pouring beers behind the temporary bar space and was quite knowledgeable about the beers and process. A buddy's sister G was working and she stopped by to give me the straight poop on the new space and how the brewery was doing in general, great additional color. I had sort of gotten over the whole Switchback phenomena a couple years ago. The unfiltered ale was good but I always got pretty banged up and then my stomach was a mess. Going to the brewery though the fresh from the tap Brown was subtle and really quite nice. The pale ale was refreshing on the hot day and also pretty darn good. I even enjoyed the red ale which I don't always love (red ales in general). Overall, I enjoyed the beers and the experience. I can get back in that mix from time to time. Another spot I will return to without a doubt.

Is it a problem that I liked both places and they are on my way home? I suppose that depends who you ask!

No comments: