Friday, June 6, 2014

Just trying to get a f*ing haircut?!



So I don't have a ton of hair... it is pretty easy to get it done. I get my head shaved w/a #2 attachment and it should take about 15 minutes. My wife won't do it and I can't quite do it myself but out and about it is usually pretty cheap. So I am pretty shaggy and decided to try and get it done Wed., around 1:30. Middle of the week, a workday, should be pretty easy to get it done. I cruised by Main Street Barbers. Packed. Like 4-5 people waiting for 3 barbers. Shit. I walked away. I called over to check in on Bugatti on Battery St. The woman put me on perma hold. I went back to the office and after half an hour or so I tried again. Still packed at Main Street. I mean, I was skipping out on work... didn't the rest of these people have jobs?! So I tried Bugs again. They said it was the grand opening and they were doing walk ins, very short wait. First off, grand opening? They have been open for like a year. I have been there several times over the last few months. Whatever, I go over and I am the only one waiting while two ya-yos are getting cuts. One guy is getting his pompadour cut and won't shut the f*** up about his various jobs at local bars or whatever. The other guy is also getting a fancy cut and seems like he has never gotten his hair cut before. Anyway, I read mags and wait forever while the chatting and cuts get done. I finally get in the chair and some tall skinny fat guy w/ a terrible mustache and a bow tie asks me how I heard about them? I said in an annoyed voice... "I have gotten my hair cut here a bunch of times." He says well, he has never seen me. Well, I guess you don't work during the lunch hour, probably too busy trimming and waxing your dirt stache? I ask how they can have a grand opening a year after they actually opened. Apparently they now have everything just how they want it and are celebrating. The only difference between now and the actual opening that I could see was a couple pieces of art, dirt stache, and higher prices. Needless to say our conversation pretty much ended there. Good. It was a good cut but they then jammed me for $20. Used to be $15. Is going up to $25 next week. So long Bugatti... you just opened for the second time and I will not be going back.

So here is a weird thing. Apparently Jonah Hill got harassed by paparazzi until he snapped and hurled a homophobic slur at the photog. I am no stranger to such comments. I am trying to get better about all types of degrading comments like that because they are not fair but I have used such a slur before. So here is the question... I work closely w/ 2 men and a woman and was thinking about inappropriate joking. Has there ever been a case in bro culture or otherwise where you thought about using a derogatory homophobic term directed at a woman? So you say to a guy... "don't be gay", or in Jonah Hill's case, "suck my dick faggot". Would you ever say to a woman, "don't be gay"? Would a woman say to a woman... well, I am not going to write it so you can fill in the blanks but think of the equivalent to Jonah's taunt. I am not saying homosexual women do not get their share of abuse, but is the use of these kinds of digs beyond a sex thing and almost a gender role question? Is it more acceptable for a woman to bend gender roles than it is for a man in the current society parameters? Then again, there are dudes who are convinced women are gay and tell them such if their advances are spurned so maybe women in general are more advanced than men... well, at least when it comes to how they denigrate other people. And a better question, is this all too deep for this blog which generally just shits on barber shops and discusses my great love for Reubens?

When we return on JAT, Existential humor... everybody is a little funny, now you you funny too. Don't go away.


No comments: