Monday, April 30, 2012

Birds in the 'Dacks!



Big weekends for the birds this weekend... my special lady and I headed out to our friend's family place in Keene Valley.  It was a great time w/ some delicious food, plenty of laughs, and one too many drinks.  I knew when I took that first sip of maple infused whiskey I was in trouble... and I was!  We cleared out the hangovers w/ a hike up Blueberry Mtn. That shit was no joke.  Only 2800 feet or so it is straight up. After 15 minutes I was sweating like crazy and trying to keep my eggs and pancakes down which was no small feet.  Once at the top though you had nice views of the surrounding peaks and could really see the environmental impact of Irene, there were some sick slides on the more vertical peaks.  After the hike we were all pretty hungry and cruised to the Noon Mark Diner for some lunch.  It is famous for its pies and they apparently ship all over the country.  We did not have pie.

Anyway, our waitress was a teenager who could not have been less interested in our table. It was like 45 minutes of being judged.  The food though was pretty solid.  I have a "dressed" burger that was a little over cooked for medium but had nice flavor.  The onion rings were also very good.  I rounded it out w/ an unsweetened iced tea for a real down home diner lunch.  It was great.  Splitting our check in 3 was another real challenge.  My advice is to just pay in cash! 

I did slip out to dinner and a movie Friday night. I tried the new Thai place on Rt. 7 that is the 16436826th iteration in the location put together by the old Bangkok Bistro conglomerate.  I had miso soup and drunken noodles.  The main course came out before my soup had cooled enough to take a bite.  The food itself was fine but not exceptional.  It did make a nice leftover.  The soup did not need the 2 huge raw slices of mushroom, it just didn't.  Afterwards I went to see The Five Year Engagement.  It was pretty funny and had a couple very funny parts.  Better renter though.  Be careful watching it w/ your partner, the character dynamics might want to make you pee in their popcorn when they are not looking to even the score!

So, we are really enjoying the Game of Thrones show on HBO.  It is hard to follow but if you get in deep it is pretty solid.  Afterwards though, Veep and Girls are tough.  Would you watch either if they were not on HBO at 10pm?  Send me a comment about Girls.  If you are not in NYC do you like it all?  Even if you do enjoy the city angle do you still hate the show?  That said I have tuned in for 2 1/2 shows even though I am pretty sure it is one of the worst shows I have ever seen? Ok then...

No comments: