Monday, April 23, 2012

Rainy Weekend



Word is parts of the Northeast just got snow?  Fortunately not us.  It did rain and we took the opportunity to relax a bit. We did some errands and had a lovely lunch at El Cojiba.  That place is great for lunch.  A couple tacos and a beer are delicious, pretty filling, and relatively cheap for a "Flatbread" associated spot.  Later that evening we met friends at the Antidote in Vergennes and I realized I was getting old.  I had a Manhattan w/Earl Grey infused sweet vermouth that I did not care for.  My special lady and I then shared an artichoke dip that was pretty good (dipping bread was really nice) and then a burger.  The burger was actually delicious but super messy.  Great bun, well cooked, and flavorful but I needed a shit ton of napkins as it went all over the place.  Not long after we started eating the band fired up.  We were in a high booth w/ the band at out backs.  I am not sure if I was in a bad spot for acoustics but it was so loud my ears started to ache and I began to feel nauseous.  Awesome... I have turned into my parents!  That said, why do mediocre bands feel like they need to turn the music up so high?  It was not a huge or overly crowded venue and really how loud do you need to hear Huey Lewis and the News covers?  Have you ever left a concert and said, hey I really wish that had been louder! No.  And since increased volume actually distorts the sound and destroys your hearing what is the upside?  It is like selling drugs laced w/ poison right?  Or selling coffee you peed in?  Why as customers do we keep coming back to hear Spinal Tap turned "to eleven"?!  'Cause we are assholes I suppose. 

Still, 2 restaurants and they both had very solid food at very solid prices.  One odd aside, on Friday we cruised over to the Luening's bar upstairs and it was not awesome.  First off the place was filled w/ old people w/ a table or two of rich parent college kids.  So that was fun.  Secondly, the place smelled really bad.  I think it was cheese but if not then feet and B.O. and it was a pretty darn close call.  We shared a gross Old Fashioned.  The apps we shared were ok.  There were these French Onion Soup balls (hahaha balls), that were tasty.  The peperoni platter was pretty good as well.  Yup, I had pepperoni and balls... what are you going to do about it?!

Go Sox!   Too soon?

No comments: