Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Back to Negative Jaybird


I had a very nice and quiet President's Day yesterday.  I finally finished The Fountainhead.  That is a long f*ing book man.  It was really good, a little preachy at times but I enjoyed the characters and the story quite a bit.  Imagining Ayn Rand as a free thinking, smoking, sex pot is a little gross. 

Anywho... so my special lady and I took a drive on Sunday down Rt. 100.  It is like 30 degrees and brown everywhere which really sucks.  After cruising around we shot over to Brandon and decided on a little lunch at Cafe Provence which looked nice.  My wife had eaten there before and said it was our best option.  Well, it did not start well.  We waited for a long time for a table.  The place was only 1/2 full maybe at 2PM but while one teenage waiter ran around serving most of the tables another waitress just stood at a single table chatting up a single patron and getting not slim.  We finally sat down and moved on to waiting phase 2.  That one took awhile before another waitress arrived at the building and finally cruised over w/ silverware and asked if we wanted a drink.  I asked what the McNeil's seasonal beer was per the menu.  She claimed she was not familiar w/ beer and went to look.  I was not asking if they had beer just what the type was, not even what it tasted like, just what it was as the menu indicated?  It is a restaurant right?  Not a fire station.  They only had one changing seasonal... you should probably know that one right? Ok, whatever... she told me it was the farmhouse amber and I ordered it.  My lady asked if they had ginger ale.  Affirmative.  So she walked away.  Waiting phase 3.  This was like a condo project that kept running out of money.  Our waitress got on a long phone call and then forgot about us.  Michael Cera kept up w/ his other 10 tables.  Fat girl just wandered off not to be seen again.  I said we should leave.  My wife said to stop being cranky.  Finally teen kid convinced his mom to check on us.  She finally came back w/ the beer and what was clearly Coke and Sprite mixed together, not ginger ale.  We ordered.  At this point teen wolf got on the case and service picked up as he brought the food out.  There were like 12 people in the kitchen and only the one competent kid out front.  They would not have done well on Top Chef Restaurant Wars!  So between salad and entree I went to take a leak.  Phase 4!  I was waiting for a long time while I suspected a 80yr old was taking a dump.  Nope... it was an employee just getting to work who was getting changed and cleaned up for work.  On the bright side I was able to pee surrounded by the soothing aroma of stale cigarette smoke!

Ok, the service sucked... how was the food?  The salad was pretty good, not over dressed, nice looking lettuce.  The pizza was ok.  I had a burger that was nicely cooked, good flavor and a great soft onion roll.  So the food is solid, price is ok, and service sucked balls.  1 thumb waiting... waiting... waiting...

No comments: