Monday, June 27, 2011

Date Night Surprise!


I ended last week on a bit of a bender... we had a work related dinner Thursday night and I got a little over my skis.  Like heading down Tuckerman's Ravine sans skis, over my skis!  Some asshole tried to charge me $50 for the cab ride to Charlotte.  It usually costs $35.  The problem w/ cabs in Burlington is that they do not use meters and do not tell you the cost up front.  My dickhead driver thought he he slip one by me in my drunken state.  Well, f*** that guy!  I paid $35.  On the bright side I did have a lovely breakfast the next morning at Pennyclues.  I usually don't go there because I refuse to wait over 30 minutes for anything, except maybe a good poo.  We went at an off hour and got right in though.  We started w/ biscuits and gravy and a bucket of spuds.  The biscuit was ok but the gravy was kind of weird, a little too sweet.  Can you really go wrong w/ a pile of potatoes and cheese though?  The answer is no.  I then wrapped it up w/ the huevos verdes.  Delicious.  Really nice tomatillo sauce.  It was a good meal. 

Saturday we went to my parents and spent some time w/ my nephew.  It was a fun day, he is pretty cool, but has way too much energy for me.  It was a very pleasant day though.  We went to the Montshire Museum in Norwich.  If you have smaller children and happen to be in the area, give it a look.  It is like the Boston Children's Museum Lite.  On our way back to Burlington we stopped in Montpelier for a beer at the 3 Penny Taproom, a movie (X-Men), and dinner at Positive Pi.  It turned into a great date.  The beer was very good and the movie was pretty entertaining.  We stayed for the credits and then went to the bathroom afterward. When I came out I noticed a crowd at the door.  The Capitol Theater was holding up all movie goers until we exited.  2 of us.  What if I had to spend more time in the men's room?  Were we really a threat to steal another movie experience?  Is that a real problem in Montpelier?  Anyway, like I said the movie was good not great, but very entertaining for a rainy Saturday night.  Positive Pi was an odd joint.  It was busy but not packed.  We were seated right away in the front.  We waited for a little bit before a runner came by and took our drink order, saying the waiter was jammed.  Good thing he came by because it was 20 minutes or so before we actually saw our waiter and I was nearly drink empty w/ no water either.  It is pizza not French gastronomique!!!  The pizza itself was pretty good.  Crust and sauce were good but there was too much garlic and not enough basil or sauce.  OK, not great.

One last tidbit from Sunday.  It stopped raining for 20 minutes so we cruised by Loews to pick up some stuff to build a raised bed garden.  After dealing w/ 3 absolute ya-yos trying to cut some 2x4s for me we finally were ready to check out.  The nerd behind the counter started in about how he wanted a checkout glove.  Then he started talking about how a place he knew of gave checkout people whole exoskeleton arms.  Yeah, that is really necessary for the idiot at Loews... a $1mm robotic arm.  My wife just started to wander away leaving me to pretend this conversation w/ the 5th level Wizard Master was not happening.  When we finally escaped the assclown had not put all of our merchandise in the cart.  He was too busy imagining himself as a home goods cyborg.  My lady had to go all the way back to fetch our stuff while I mowed the lawn... which ended up being a project finished in driving rain.  F*ing rain.

No comments: