Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Jay About Magnolia


You want to know what Jaybird and his special lady really dig? Brunch! This weekend we were fortunate enough to join a friend we had not seen in awhile for a nice leisurely brunch at Magnolia. To be fair, I was more than a little skeptical about our destination of choice. First off, they bill themselves as eco-friendly/organic fare. That usually translates into taste free mush! Secondly, they are domiciled in the old Hector's space. Put it this way, how many classy joints do you know of that hols beer pong tourneys in the basement. Third, there was a huge line up the stairs when we got there! So, first off... big props to my lady, when there is a line or a wait I usually hang back while she busts up to the maitre di and takes care of business! Once again, she made it happen, and the line moved very quickly. We were sitting down in no time and were able to take in the very bright, well positioned space. Magnolia is actually a very pleasant place to eat from an aesthetic standpoint. On to the food. They have a full bar and the bloody marys LOOKED pretty good, though we had orange juice (fresh squeezed, delicious) so I cannot actually vouch. Our waitstaff was attractive, friendly, and professional. Plus they kept the water glasses full without hovering. Now to the important stuff, the food. I had a tarragon chicken salad sandwich w/ cranberry mayo on sourdough... warm, crispy and delicious. The salad greens on the side were not overly dressed and were nice as well. My Lady rocked her usual, the breakfast burrito. It was good, not great. I think it may have needed more beans but it was very clean and very fresh tasting. Even the home fries were not greasy or heavy. I am giving the place 2 thumbs up. They only do breakfast and lunch but it is a nice way to start the day... even if you start that day around noon!

So Sunday night I watched the movie Strangeland, a Dee Snider passion play. Know old Dee is one of my favorite characters from the 80s glam metal scene, he was the lead tranny/singer for Twisted Sister. This movie however... uh, well, there were alot of tattoos, loud industrial goth metal, and needles. It may have had a message but in the end I am not sure what that message was. I won't ruin it for you, Dee has already taken care of that!

Hey, World Series huh? Thanks Tampa for blowing your wad against Boston. This is one of the worst series ever. Tampa's "big hitters" are 2 for the series. The Phillies have left 12 clown cars full of base runners in scoring position. Clutch hits? Not in this piece of shit. Of course the piece de resistance was last night where a hurricane blew through and they had to postpone the game half way through the 6th inning (about 5 innings later than they should have called it)! Good times!!!

Me? I am just a gigolo, and everywhere I go... people know the part I'm playin'!

No comments: