Monday, July 28, 2008

J-Bird the Part Time Bachelor


Yup, here I am sitting in VT while my special lady is off in Alaska. Am I jealous? Your damn right I am! Work is pretty tough, the financial markets are like one long country song... my returns have left me, my pricing power is gone, and I have turned to cheap beer to ease my pain! Where is Garth Brooks when I need him!!!!! This weekend I actually slowed my boozing down ever so slightly. So Jay was about town looking for lunch around 2pm on Sunday in downtown Burlington and here is the rundown. We head over to a hippy joint Stone Soup... apparently not open at 2pm on a Sunday. Why would you be open on a Sunday? Who eats out on a Sunday? Oh yeah, all of the hundreds of tourists on the one main strip in the biggest city in VT!!!!!!!! Ok, so we decide to cruise over to newly re-installed to the rotation, Smokejacks. Closing, the reason being the chef was having difficulties. Seriously. What the F*ck does "the chef is having difficulties" mean?! Like the oven is broken? The water main is busted? The chef has diarrhea? What?! Ok, strike 2. So we head over to Mirrabelles. They close at 2:30 but it is only 2:00. There is only 1 other table busy. So the waitress who has already mentally checked out tries to put us @ a very special table. The one w/ shit all over it and a cluster of Cheerios some kid dumped under the table. The restaurant was dirty and smelled bad. Needless to say we bolted. Strike 3!!! So we went to Leunigs. It was pretty good. My lady had a pasta Carbonera, it was heavy but good. I went w/ a really chunky and delicious gazpacho. I also rocked the duck frites. They were only so-so, the maple dipping sauce was good though. Oh yeah, I also had a "French 75". If you go to Leunigs have the French 75, if you don't like it I will personally fight you.

One last note, I just finished reading The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. It intertwines the stories of the World's Fair in Chicago circa 1893 w/ the tale of a mass murderer prowling the Chicago streets at the same time. Great story, well told... 2 big thumbs up. The murderer also spent a little time in Burlington just before being caught for his crimes.

So w/ that I bid you adieu, I need to drink some beers and make a mess of my house, and watch bad movies... in my underwear.

No comments: