Monday, December 17, 2007

I have 12 inches here... plus it just snowed!


Yup... that's why I moved this little site from the company intranet to the world wide web, so I could post a cleverly crafted double entendre! Boo Yeah!!!! When I was a kid my parents told me I could have a dog and a gun when I moved into my own place... well I still don't have either one so nobody is taking this joke away from me!!! And no, I don't still live w/ my parents. In any event, it is officially winter up in this piece. We had a pretty decent snow storm that dropped 14+" between Saturday and Sunday. My special lady and I took the opportunity to get our Christmas tree, have a few cocktails, and watch a few movies. The tree is quite full and nice (white spruce) thank you very much, and the drinks put me in a cheery mood (until I got a semi hangover around 2PM). As for our movie selection...

Deja Vu starring Denzel Washington and produced by Michael Bay. It gave me deja vu alright... I knew I had seen a piece of crap like that before somewhere? It was Michael Bay doing Michael Bay things (blowing shit up and moving the camera around too fast), and typical Denzel doing Denzel things. To be fair Denzel is a good actor and I am always at least partially entertained by his movies. This one only gets a half thumb up though... I fell asleep for 10 minutes during the most crucial part of the movie for cripes sake!!

Letters From Iwo Jima starring Ken Wantanabe and directed by Clint Eastwood. Hey, do you have 2 1/2 hours of down time where you can be bored to near death? Well then this is the movie for you! I don't really care about movies and I find Clint's movies to be too long and prodding. I know Hollywood loves "the Man w/ No Name" but I am not in that camp. Yes the movie was beautifully shot and the action scenes at the end were pretty good... but this could have been half as long. My wife went down for the count 15 minutes in... I suffered through the whole thing. half a thumb... that I chewed off during the movie.

Pan's Labyrinth starring God knows who. This was a Spanish flick originally titled Laberinto del fauno El. We both really enjoyed it. It came as a huge surprise but this was a very dark story, a fantasy set against the backdrop of the Franco regime post Spanish Civil War. The story was entertaining, the acting was tight, and the visuals were stunning. I would like to go back and study up on the era before watching the movie again. 2 thumbs up, thoroughly enjoyed it.

BTW... 2 foreign language films in 1 weekend... know what that means? Superbad and The Bourne Ultimatum next up in the queue!!!

Last but not least, congrats to Andy Pettitte for coming clean... after getting caught cheating. Keep lying Clemens, you can dig your way straight out of Hall of Fame contention. "Hey Barry, you have a big head and bacne... I have a big head and bacne, we should hang out!". And why is Jayson Stark such a steroid lover right now? He has gone out of his way to defend these guys... looks like somebody is kissing ass so that he can lay the tracks for an inside look at baseball. Just an embarrassing play. Pandering's Labyrinth.

No comments: