Monday, November 5, 2007

DC or Bust!




Holy crap... I just spent my vacation day stacking wood, putting my garden to bed for the winter (it's not fruity, refer back to the wood stacking!!!), and cleaning the house up. I am f***ing tired!!! So this post may suck and need to be revisited. Anywho, my special lady and I spent the weekend w/ our good friends the Pumas in our nation's capitol. We had a great time. We checked out the monuments which is always spectacular. Have you noticed that no one builds things like the Lincoln Memorial, or the Jefferson Memorial, or even the Capitol building anymore. I mean, if I was Bill Gates w/ a couple billion bucks to burn... the great pyramid of J-Bird!!!!! Bank on it! We also toured northern Virginia and the Georgetown area. Just a really great are. Our pals have this really hip apartment w/ 30 foot ceilings (at least) and a ton of space. D.C. is pretty cool, it is like a series of small cities w/ a lot of green space... but all within 20 minutes to the capitol.

On Friday we had the pleasure of a kick to the junk courtesy of the good people at JFK airport. We sat on the tarmac at Burlington for awhile before they told us all traffic was halted to JFK and we would have a 2 hour wait and might have to order pizzas because all of Burlington airport was closed (7:20PM). I am dead serious. But then, just as the 20 pizzas arrived and you could smell them in the hall, the cabin doors were closed and we were off! Good thing too because we only had to circle around NY for an hour or so. On the bright side our connection was also delayed for an hour so no worries there. JFK was also great on site, the bar closed at 10:15PM. Must be that once the early birds clear out nobody needs a drink! I would think that if you are in an airport (as about 200 people were) at 10:15... you need an F***ING drink!!! Fortunately, my lady has eagle eyes and spotted a lone food court option still open and serving beer. I love my wife, she kicks ass!!! So, finally we got to D.C. early in the A.M. had a drink, chatted and crashed. The next day our friend K.L. made a delicious brunch; egg strada, smoked salmon and caper pasta salad, turkey sausage, and pineapple chunks ... this thing rocked. We then did our tour and grabbed a beer and some apps in Georgetown before heading back to their place. The piece de resistance? Frickles! Fried pickles. Not sure what it is about D.C. but there are pickles everywhere. Sandwiches, fried, soups... The frickles were pretty great though, if you have a chance to check them out, I say DO IT!!! So after a little conversing at the crib, we went out to a restaurant where you seat yourself in a packed bar environment. It was like a National Geographic special. My buddy and I hung at the bar like lions while our fearless mates stalked a tabled and then... POUNCED!!!! Bang, we were sitting and chowing. Not sure there was any conversation, I don't even know what I ate. But it was great! Again, it was back to the crib where the ladies (exhausted from the hunt) wen to bed, while the Puma and I played dominoes!

Sunday, we were all a little wiped. We had a nice brunch (I had a Cuban sandwich, more pickles), and then the ladies did a little shopping while Puma and I went to a bar to have a beer, play darts and watch the J-E-T-S! Puma managed to crush his head on a shelf while reaching for darts. He might have a Trent Green face going right now. We then took a fantastic driving tour of the D.C. area and were off to VT. Only a short delay in JFK this time. I hate that airport now. I really hate it.

So now here I am, about to melt into my Old Fashioned and watch some tube. I really liked D.C. and look forward to returning to see the Pumas and another good friend and his new bride recently disengaged from the air force. And with that I am out!!!!!
P.S. couldn't get any releases so all of the faces are blocked out... pretty sure that is Brad Pitt in front Lincoln though

No comments: