Monday, August 5, 2013

Is That Your Final Answer?



So how bad does your food have to be to be honest w/ waitstaff?  When the waiter comes over and asks how the food is you are sometimes caught at a crossroads. I love and hate when they get me w/ my mouth full. I am annoyed at being snuck up on but I also do not have to answer the question.  So my wife and I were eating at the Canoe Club in Hanover Sat. night and my wife says to me "This is worse than airplane food.".  On cue, the waitress pops up out of a trap door in the floor and asks "How is everything?" to which my special lady responds without missing a beat "Good, thank you.".  I just stared like a deer in the head lights and pretended I did not speak English.  So when you think the food is worse than the shit you get on an airplane but you still answer good it begs the question, how bad does it have to be to say something?  It was not cooked incorrectly and we were not ordering anything else so the chef spit/testicle rub retaliation was not in play. It is not really fair to future patrons not to point out the terrible fare and yet we still always just shrink away from the cold reality.

So what, you may ask, sucked so bad about out meal?  The atmosphere was quite nice and they made me a nice Manhattan. The waitress said the bread was just going in the oven and would be right out. Was in the oven huh?  The bread was so dry and flavorless I could not believe it was actually food. There was not enough butter in the restaurant to make it edible. Oh well, just bread.  The heritage beet salad came out and looked like beets out of a can.  It was limp and lifeless and while the flavor was not disgusting it was nothing you would ever want to pay for. The dressing was thoughtlessly dumped on the salad covering parts and not others. Hazelnuts were good. My gnocchi was fine. It had a tremendous amount of oil and garlic but was fine. Fine.  Really it is the only fitting description. So there you have it. 1 thumb down.

Of course this all followed up our trip to see The Wolverine at the Nugget Theater.  I thought it also was fine. Good to see in the theater, lots of action, kind of a lame plot.  My lady thought it was pretty bad and could not get past the plot issues. I am a dumb animal, it does not bother me as much if there are bright shiny lights. That said I would not recommend it either. So I guess 1 thumb sideways?

We finished up at Murphy's which had a lively scene and an attentive bartender.  A group of women was on a girls night out and were having more fun than anyone we had ever seen.  My lady almost ditched me to hang with them.  Also having a fun night out were the too older dipshits having a guys night out.  They had clearly gone big as they were now on water and beer, called for a cab, were speaking gibberish, and one of the guys was blatantly turning to stare at my wife's chest. I was close to saying something but my beer was gone and it was time to go home.

After all of that you may ask... Jay, how do you rate that pile of shit date? 2 thumbs up!!! We got out, just the 2 of us for a night and genuinely had fun laughing at out predicaments. It was humorous and good to be together as nearly normal humans. I still did not get lucky but we were staying at my parents' house. And my dad was drinking a Mike's hard lemonade when we got home.  2.25 thumbs up.

No comments: