Thursday, August 22, 2013

Jay About Guild Fine Meats



I am a little worried about the interweb crowd that header may draw?  In any event... the Catamount Hospitality group opened their latest creation Guild Fine Meats in the old Pacific Rim spot next to Flatbread in Burlington.  As it just opened Wed. I had to make my move to check it out.  The place was billed as an outlet for their own fine meats butchered and prepared in Winooski I believe. I imagined a butcher that might have some accouterments a little like Shelburne Meat Market but more thoughtful and local in product.  Well... it is only the first week. There is a butcher shop and there is a nice selection of bottled beers and wines as well as some other treats such as moon pies and anise candies. There is also a decent size sandwich counter.  It is obvious that this is the first week and they have all hands on deck including one of the owners behind the counter cutting meat.  As far as the meat... it all looks nice but it is just Laplatte Farms beef and I did not notice any of the aging or curing I was hoping to find.  It was kind of a standard butcher which is fine and necessary but certainly not unique.  The space itself is nice but snug.  I sauntered up to the sandwich counter and ordered a warm roast beef w/ tarentaise, red onions, and horseradish aioli on wheat. There was a little confusion behind the counter but they banged it out pretty quickly.  It was a bit petite for the cost which was reasonable for Burlington but only if it is a bigger sandwich? That said, the roast beef was tender and had nice flavor, bun was pretty good, and the cheese was delicious.  It was a good, not great sandwich. Overall I think it is a welcome addition to the scene.  I was not blown away but it is early.  To be fair, I felt the same way about the Farmhouse and now I go there pretty regularly.  I will hold off on thumbs until I go again but I'd suggest checking it out if you are in the market for lunch.

A bit off the run as I used my space for an A-Rod rant earlier but my special lady and I were able to ditch the kids w/ the in laws and catch the Black Crowes down at the waterfront last Saturday.  Like current Phish tours we both found it tight, well constructed and enjoyable but lacking that certain passion of earlier shows.  I suppose like heroin you are always trying to get back to that first intense experience but really never can because you don't accurately remember what that first time was really like in proper context.  Or so I have heard.  That said they took a few of the standard its and really rocked out, in particular moving from Hard to Handle to Deep Purple's Hush for the encore that was really something special.  Special props to old couple slow dancing and grabbing handfuls of butt, #1 fan 80 year old guy rocking out like he was having a seizure, and the couple consisting of girl dancing her heart out around her partner who did not move one inch.  Fantastic!

No comments: