Thursday, January 12, 2012

Jay About South Beach

I was in Miami over the weekend for a conference and I will tell you that South Beach in January ain't bad!  It was sunny and 75 every day.  The last 2 years this conference was in D.C..  As you can imagine, meetings at the Delano hotel possibly in a cabana by the pool is much better than in a stuffy overheated small conference room in the Marriott.  Conversations were good and people were surprisingly focused although most folks had similar ideas about the market which always makes me nervous, you know, the lemming phenomena.  In any event, it was great to be warm for a few days.  I can give 1 definitive review and it is the hotel I stayed in.  Lots of people had corporate discounts or just a ton of money and could stay at the Shore Club, or the Delano, or the Loews.  I had neither and stayed at The Albion.  It was small and clean which I suppose was fine for me.  One friend showed me a picture of blood stains on the ottoman in their room at the Shelburne.  Probably want to avoid that place. Just sayin'.  Anyway, on the plane from NY to Florida I noticed that the plane was 40% folks over 65 and 40% families.  I had one Canadian dude behind me snorting in snot loudly every 5 seconds and next to me was a 13 year old girl who talked too loud and coughed and sneezed all over me for 3 hours.  Needless to say I am sick right now. 

So the old folks brigade continued at the Albion.  It was a steady stream of octogenarians that culminated w/ the old lady that was mad that the elevator stopped on more than one floor and kept yammering on about the 3 banana for $1 down the street at the farmer's market.  I did not venture to the pool.  One last thing... if you are thinking about renting a yellow Lamborghini to impress everyone in town, probably figure out how to drive it and or do not get it in bright yellow.  Otherwise you will look like an asshole, until that smoking hot model/hooker gets out of the car w/ you.  Then you are still an asshole but guys will be at least a little envious.

No comments: