Monday, January 23, 2012

Jay About Pistou


Finally made my way over to Pistou over by August First on main street and something or rather.  It was a short lived over priced tapas joint and a weird Greek coffee shop before that.  The current incarnation is a clean high quality fancy bistro type thing.  I got a little shit about it from my fellow diners as it is a Middlebury alums operation but the kids running the show are much younger than I am and I have no specific axe to patronize a Midd. joint.  That said the space is clean and bright and certainly comfortable enough.  We had lunch, I went w/ the 1/2 mackerel sandwich and soup combo.  The soup was rutabaga and celery root and was very good.  Earthy but a little sweet and a great consistency, almost thick foam.  It was very good.  The sandwich was pretty solid as well.  It was cold cured mackerel w/ frise and garlic aioli on a crusty baguette.  The bread was great, the mackerel was mild and the aioli had nice flavor w/out being overpowering.  The whole this was good.  The prices were steep but not outrageous and the service was solid but a little slow for the small number of patrons.  Not sure I will make a habit of this as I very rarely am able to sit down for lunch and the site is a little off the run (out of sight, out of mind)... but I thought this was a very nice meal and look forward to trying dinner.

As a quick aside we had another pretty solid meal at Antidote in Vergennes Friday night.  It was packed w/ a band and the over 40 local crowd (not attractive).  Drinks were hard to get but delicious and the sidecar for my Manhattan was money.  I had a brisket sandwich and it was very good.  Well cooked meat and a nice BBQ sauce.  That place is really quite good and seems to fly under the radar.

That is it.  Dry and boring review.  How about those Patriots?  Did not really play well and still in the Super Bowl. 

No comments: