Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Hard Getting Back in the Swing

I took some time off over the holidays and after 10 glorious days of not sitting in this not so pleasant seat I can assure you it is difficult getting back in the game.  I did get quite a bit of work done though so that is good.  When people tell you they worked all day don't you often wonder what the f*** they actually occupy themselves w/ all day?  Well I am not giving away my secrets!  In any event... we spent most of last week in NYC and I have plenty of restaurant reviews to get to.  I am tired today though so I am going to stiff my loyal readers (both of you) and do a quick couple of movie reviews.

One afternoon we had planned to take a walk up the West Side to a newer park and check it out but it started raining and between the cold, the wind, and the rain my lady and I decided maybe it was a movie day.  It is tough to get a week rolling with steady bar hopping at 1pm, although not impossible.  We went to the theater over in the World Financial Center complex and it is really quite nice.  It was big, and clean, and not very crowded.  The stadium seating was fantastic and the screen and sound were excellent.  We plopped down somewhere in the neighborhood of $823,365,365.00 for the two of us and settled in for what was sure to be mentally stimulating, Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows.  It was long.  I enjoyed it, my wife not so much.  It is big and loud and there are explosions and stupid one liners.  It was an acceptable way to spend a rainy day in my opinion if you like that sort of mental trash (which I do).  It is best experienced on the big screen if you have a chance.  We both agreed it was better than the first Sherlock Holmes movie and that was mainly due to the bad guy Moriarty who was pretty good.  I'd give it a soggy 1 thumb up.

Next up was a rental... Limitless with Bradley Cooper.  This one was free on Netflix (well, you know, not really free).  The title was not accurate.  There is a limit, to my patience.  This movie kind of sucked.  It did not really make sense, the characters were not compelling, and it featured a now expected Robert Deniro special delivery.  That guy mails in so much stuff these days he must get a special UPS rate.  To be fair I have seen worse but I would not suggest this one unless you are really bored, or like Bradley Cooper. 1 thumb down.

Another rental in the mix... The Devil's Double.  This one was about the guy who was Uday Hussein's body double in the 90s.  That guy Uday was f*d up in the head, seriously.  The story stays pretty true to historical fact according to several Internet sources I looked up until a bit of a leap at the end but they sort of had to make that jump.  I didn't know any of the actors but they were all pretty good especially the lead guy who was excellent in double duty as the body double and Uday.  Plenty of excitement and intrigue.  I'd give it 1 2/3rd thumbs up.

Last but not least (that was Limitless) was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, over at the theater in SoBu.  This cost a fraction of what the NY theater was and for obvious reasons.  Whatever, on to the movie.  It was pretty good.  It stuck to the book for the most part and was just uncomfortable enough.  There was a slight change at the end and they left some things out but I am not sure they were necessary so it did not bother me at all.  It was still a long movie at around 3 hours.  Daniel Craig was good and so was Mara Rooney who pulled off the androgynous, punky, yet still kind of sexy lead.  The bad guy was also solid as a creepy killer.  We both liked it and thought the time went by effortlessly.  I think this one would work on the big or small screen though it was shot pretty well and the big screen gave it some gravitas.  I am giving it 1 1/2 thumbs up.

So there you go.  More on the NYC trip to come so stay tuned... I am back in the game!!!

No comments: