Monday, November 23, 2009

Left to my Own Devices!


Well, I made it through another solo weekend alive... although I did spend alot of time sleeping on the living room couch as opposed to my bed. On the upside, I made a lovely French Cabbage soup from the "Joy of Cooking" on Saturday. A real step up from the usual Mac n Cheese. It went swimmingly w/ a martini . Couple quick reviews from the weekend for your viewing pleasure.


I was still pretty freaked out from the Bruno experience and was a little shy about getting back on the pay per view saddle. Well, after soup and said martini I took a chance on the Michael Cera/Jack Black epic Year 1. You know what? It was actually funny. Not great, but pretty funny. I mean, it had alot of Michael Cera doing awkward, and Jack Black doing Jack Black things but it was a little more mellow than some of their more recent adventures. I would recommend it once it comes out on HBO. One slightly drunk premium cable thumb up.


Sunday, I was tired of being home and had some errands to run anyway so I cruised into Burlington for lunch and some football. Quick aside, why do so many types of jeans have ass pockets that hang at the back of my knees? I could hide a laptop in those things. Plus they look ridiculous. But I digress. I decided to give Bistro 156 a fair chance chow wise and it seemed like a reasonable spot to catch a game, they have 6 or 7 TVs w/ all sorts of football. Surprisingly enough I was the only one there when I walked in at 1PM. Yeah, I got pretty prime bar real estate, kind of like buying a condo in Miami these days I guess. Anyway, soon after I sat down the bar filled up and so did a couple of tables in the open bar area. The dining room stayed empty for the duration. I went the safe route and ordered a bistro burger and a Switchback. Right away I noticed that the beer was cold which was a huge plus from the last time I was there. The service was prompt (and sweaty). The burger was pretty good, it was cooked w/ Worcester sauce and Gorgonzola cheese. I don't know if it was medium as I asked but I don't mind medium well so we were good. Good roll, very solid fries. It was solid. When the two wanna be Euro-trash oil money yeah this is my new haircut freaks sat next to me and started talking to each other and their cell phones at the same time I knew it was time to leave. It was kind of funny, the one dipshit ordered a Grey Goose and cranberry but instead got a GG and grapefruit juice. Cranberry and grapefruit do not really sound anything alike but whatever. So the bartender talks to assclown into a splash of cranberry and the new concoction was on the house. So when D-Bag numero deux sits down he asks what his friend is drinking, The bartender explains what his new creation is w/out mentioning his F-up and the friend does not mention it either. So D-Bag number 2 says... "Ok, that looks good, I will have one". Yeah, expensive vodka and 2 bitter fruit juices all mixed together sounds great. It sounds like you raided your parents liquor cabinet in high school you moron! Maybe it was hush money but the bartender gave me my second beer on the house. So to be fair, my experience at Bistro 156 was not bad... 1 1/8 thumbs up.

No comments: