Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Jay About... Solid Mexican Food in New England?!


Hell Yeah!!! Where might you find this worthwhile Mexican fair here in the hinterlands where it is certainly too cold for most Mexican emigrants to travel? Stockbridge Massachusetts! Yup, Stockbridge. Hey Jay, where the f*ck is Stockbridge, Mass.?! Well, it is over in the eastern part of the state where the borders of Mass., Conn., and NY come together, beautiful Berkshires country. My wife and I try to avoid any and all contact with our families (go ahead ask them!) but once and awhile a trip is in order and we shot down there for a brief 2 days a couple weeks ago. Possibly the highlight of the trip was dinner Friday night at Xicohtencatl. How do you pronounce that? How the hell would I know! Anyway... after a very long drive we were starving and this place turned out to be just the right thing. It is not typical TexMex w/ crappy tacos, burritos, etc (although they will make that for you)... instead they do a more traditional southern Mexico fare. We started w/ drinks and a couple of delicious seafood quesadillas. The tortilla was seemingly homemade, warm, and a fantastic texture that absolutely melted in your mouth. I don't even remember what was in them or why the sauce was so fresh and delicious (it was)... these badboys were all about the tortilla! Drinks were mixed. My lady had a solid Margarita w/ a decent Hornitas tequila, and fresh lime juice... no mix. It was good. I messed up and went w/ a cucumber jalapeno pepper think that was way too heavy on the peppers. Rather than "refreshing", I needed a drink of water after every taste of my cocktail. The entrees were next in line... and that was a treat. My father in law went w/ a shrimp dish "El Duque". I did not try it but he liked it alot as did my wife, plus the name was killing me. I usually need to have my Duque to go!!! Anyway, the women folk went w/ two versions of the mole and they were phenomenal. Subtle texture and flavor of bitter chocolate and chilies wrapped around the tender chicken in a tasty cocoon of deliciousness!!! I rocked out w/ the Carnitas, a slow cooked pork dish. Well seasoned, well cooked, excellent flavor. Fantastic. For desert we had the milk cake I always forget the name of but I am sure will be corrected by my lady in a comment that was good but not may favorite... and a lemon tart thing that was good as well. Overall this place gets 1 9/10ths thumbs up, great food, good service, proper sized portions, fair price, nice atmosphere, but gets nicked because my drink was not good. If you are ever in the area check it out! I need a few more run on sentences here... http://www.xicohmexican.com/


Quick note on the first week of the football season. What a crazy game between the Pats and the Bills last night! Very exciting at the end although I must say, the Patriots have a ton of questions. Can they run the ball? Protect the QB? Tackle anybody? Should be interesting. I also enjoyed Jake "whose team am I playing for again" Delhomme, Brandon "look what I found" Stokely, the J-E-T-S who have 1 week to think they can win the division before they realize Houston sucks, The holy crap they can score Saints, Jay "Haha, you actually thought I was good?" Cutler, the big letdown Dolphins and Cardinals, the Brett Favrvbnvabvre re-retirement watch, the ugh Rams, the frisky Raiders, what happened to the vaunted Ravens defense, and of course the drama sure to follow Donovan McNabb the rest of the season. 1-0 in fantasy football for the Bird. 10000000-0 in fantasy for all the ladies out there. AHHHH-YEAHHHH!!!

No comments: