Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Time for a "Chickie Ride"!


I have wanted to post but it has been like a tidal wave of poo around here these days. Work is crazy busy, feels like we spend most days defending our existence rather than making something exciting happen but I guess that is the way it goes in markets like this. Have you ever found a benchmark movie and tried to imagine yourself and your friends as the characters? You always give yourself the best role right? Lately I have been thinking my workplace was very much like The Office. Obviously I am... Stanley! Who are you?
BTW, our cat took a dump that smelled so bad it woke me from a dead sleep the other night... I have to admit, I was a little grossed out... and kind of proud.
We had a little movie night the other night and it was a fun time. The movie of choice? Rebel Without a Cause. This movie absolutely kills me. I mean, it is shot well, the theme is universal (teen angst), and the interaction between parents and child is still relevant. That said, James Dean the 50s sex symbol and star of the movie is, well, a little mature for a high school kid. He is 24 I believe and actually looks about 35. You think 90210 was a little miscast? This is ridiculous. In addition, the star has a very weird sexual tension w/ his young male buddy Plato (not sure how his "girlfriend" feels about this). Then you have the father, who happens to be played by Jim Backus the Gilligan's Island millionaire, cruising around in an apron. Hey, how about a car chase called a chickie ride where one kid dies but nobody really seems to get in any trouble? Not weird enough for you? The main love interest Judy keeps trying to make out w/ her dad. At least he realizes this is odd and pushes her away. Of course, layer in early Hollywood overacting and you have a true gem. 2 thumbs up and a ton of unitended laughs!!! Nice work A-Bird for picking out a young Dennis Hopper, not a ton of lines but burning w/ intensity!

No comments: