Monday, December 15, 2008

Flash!


Well, I am almost ashamed of my laziness this weekend... almost! I did get some work done around the house. I also was able to revisit an old friend on one of those Encore channels. Flash Gordon! My dad is a pretty big sci-fi fan, and when I was a kid he read me all sorts of old sci-fi books, including Flash Gordon stories. When the movie starring Sam Jones came out in 1980 I was only 4 but I have to imagine I watched it w/ the old man. I do remember seeing it again a few times in the early 80s along w/ other gems such as Buck Rogers, and the Dr. Who show. Well, Flash has aged well! The movie is pure camp, flashy bright colored outfits and super fake looking sets and special effects. It is also very sexual in nature which I guess I kind of missed when I was 8! Anyway, a few of the highlights include the hero kicking ass by playing modified football, midgets in bright multicolor uniforms, Max Syndow as Emperor Ming, a complete soundtrack done by Queen, hawk men, and did I mention the midgets? 2 Huge thumbs up!!!

No comments: