Monday, June 30, 2008

Have You Been About Town Jay?!


Well, yes and no. I know it is difficult to make it through the week w/out a Jay About Town post but I have been busy. Day 175 of my 365 day bender in the books!!! In all seriousness though, we have been out to a few old haunts, entertaining friends at the homestead, and just generally...about town. Quick recap, I have been to L'Amonte a few times in the last couple weeks. Generally, I enjoy the food, the specials are usually pretty special and the atmosphere is ok. Been drinking beer at the Green Room and the Tavern. The Green Room is close which is nice. On the downside you always smell like roast duck when you leave. The Green Room also exposes a fatal flaw on the Burlington scene... how much money and time do you have to spend in a joint before a bartender knows who you are and throws you a free drink?!?!? The owner (I think he is the owner) is great, and is on the ball, but the regular bartender... I just don't know. In Boston or NY a guy is attentive and slings free drinks when you buy a bunch and pay good tips, here in VT that is almost never the case. Poor form. The Tavern is a great scene, but you can only sit 6 to a table (what kind of f*ing rule is that) and the food is beyond awful. Beer is always cold though. I also recently ate dinner at Smokejacks. Haven't been there in awhile, they were a little over aggressive w/ the salt. Last Thursday though I had a pretty good meal. The table shared breaded cheese curds (tasted like grilled cheese sandwich), seared tuna (only ok), a cheese plate (local cheeses, always a good call), and something else I have now totally forgotten! My entree was a delicious cod. Really well prepared fish, not dry at all, and w/ tender gnocchi and greens. I then finished it off w/ a lemon ginger sorbet. There you have it, Smokejacks is back in the rotation!

One more little vignette from last week. So I was lounging on the couch watching the Red Sox and drinking a beer the other night. Out of the corner of my eye I see it, a F*ING mouse! He waddles slowly from under the couch I am sitting and confidently strolls out to the middle of the living room. It is around 8PM and still light out mind you, not like this little punk is creeping around in the middle of the night. Like the silent assassin that I am, I slowly get up and grab a magazine (ESPN the mag, I hate that one, been trying to cancel it for 5 years, they just keep sending it), then creep toward the beast. To my surprise, he not only does not run, he doesn't move at all!!! I pounce, and BLAMO!!! I nail him!!! Of course I feel a twinge of conscious when he wriggles around not quite dead. But if I don't finish him off he will be back so... BAMMM!!! I hit him again (twice)!!! Who needs a cat, that is 2 mice I have taken down!! Only 100 more to go...

No comments: