Monday, June 9, 2008

Gettin' Old


I had my 10yr college reunion this weekend and had a few interesting takeaways. The first is that for the most part, the folks who were assholes still ARE assholes. Secondly, it is interesting to see less hair, more grey hair, and more body mass! The 10 year apparently is the time when an explosion of kids happens, there were loads of babies and pregnant women. Unfortunately it also seems to be the time you learn of divorces, which is sad. Apparently as I have gotten older I have become more cranky. That's what my wife likes to tell me. I like to tell her she smells bad. Really though, I am more cranky... the older I get the more I realize this is a planet populated by f*ing morons and I am the only one who has a clue. Go ahead and file that one away, someday I am convinced you will realize it too!!!

Our friends A&L came up from NYC w/ their puppy. It was really fun to have them up and the dog was great. We did a short hike in 95 degree, 100% humidity up Mt. Philo. Man, it was hot! We also did a quick tour of the Magic Hat Brewery. I suggest you check it out if you are in the area and have not been. Hey, free beer, that is pretty cool. My buddy Beans and I had a few cocktails and stayed up to watch a classic movie... Chained Heat. Not really sure what was happening but wow! Women in prison, nudity, drugs, murder. It had it all!!! Chained Heat, put it in the queue!!

On Sunday we had brunch at Shelburne Farms. It is an amazing place built as a summer home for the Vanderbilt-Webbs in the late 1800s. The landscaping was designed by the same guy who did Central Park. The whole place is pretty amazing w/ wonderful gardens, huge ornate buildings, and sweeping views of Lake Champlain. As for brunch itself... The scenery is great. You can either sit inside a prim and proper dining room or outside w/ lake views. They had a harp player... a harp. The food was pretty good. We started w/ warm scones complete w/ raspberry jam and whipped cream (not sweet, but actual cream). The ladies had a cloth wrapped cheddar omelet that seemed to be a hit. My lady had a side of sausage (hehe) which were delicious. The boys went the eggs benedict route. They were pretty good but not phenomenal. I likes the ham and the holandaise sauce was nice and lemony. I had a decent mimosa (that's how I roll) and the coffee was great. Everyone was getting jittery knocking down 3+cups. Prices were quite reasonable. The only downside was the service. We had to ask for more coffee and water several times. We also had to ask for the raspberry jam a couple of times. Apparently the 6 service people could not handle all 8 tables. If you want some fun ask my wife about the cream/butter. I dare you! Anyway, all in I go 1 & 1/4 thumb up. Service is big for me.

I guess that is about all the posting for me today... I need to go and do some more things right!!!

No comments: