Friday, February 1, 2008

I am Scuffed up today!

So Jay About Town was about town last night w/ a small group of colleagues and well, let's just say Mrs. Jay About Town had to cheaffeur me him home! We began the night at the trusty Church Street Tavern, newly painted and cleaned up. Funny thing, the bar had been closed for 2 weeks and you really couldn't tell the place was any different. The only tell tale sign was that they had not gotten around to putting all the random crap back on the walls? Anywho... we got to jawing and before you knew it, we were several light beers deep and ready for some chow. My lady was at class so I had a free pass. Now, where to go...? How about the newly redesigned Rusty Scuffer?!?!?! The Scuffer had a previous life as a nasty seafood place that was popular w/ local B-ball coach and celeb Tom Brennan. The new incarnation has the Scuffer posing as a high end steak house. Have you ever heard the old joke about putting lipstick on a pig? $30 steaks are the lipstick, same old Scuffer is the pig! We started w/ a blue cheese a steak flatbread... probably won't be ordering that again. 3 seconds later our entrees came out. I had a burger which was pretty good. Fries sucked though. So the service was ok, the atmosphere was nice, there is a big bar and plenty of TVs. The real problem is that the Scuffer is nothing more than a slightly better than average bar. They are charging way too much and trying to go fancy... I am calling their closing date Sept. '08.

Next stop, Ake's! Bam, a few more beers, PBRs no less, and we were back in the F*ing zone chief! By the time my wife showed up we had begun speaking in giberish but were doing it at an uncomfortably high volume. We had also secured a few XL Pabst t-shirts (perfect for me as my workouts have created a size XXL neck) and were ready to offend! mission accomplished w/in 5 seconds. So then I got a ride home and Jay About Town became Jay About his bed! I am giving the Tavern 1 thumb up for cheap cold beers and a cute waitress, the Scuffer 1/2 a thumb up for the TVs and the next day diarhea, and Akes no thums up... that place always makes me mad!

I need a nap!!!

No comments: