Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Old Man Coming Through


Yup, it finally happened... I had my first old man injury playing basketball last night. I am only 31 and I am in pretty good shape. And yet... I am chasing down a loose ball last night and I feel my hamstring tighten up. OK, no big deal, I'll just take it easy, the game is almost over. We get another fast break and I try to accelerate from a run to a dead sprint and...POP! I can feel and hear my hamstring pop, then tighten up. Now I am on the shelf for a couple of months w/ at the very least a muscle pull, possible tear. Can you believe it? I thought that crap only happened to my dad! So anyway, looks like I will be riding the pine at the bar for awhile, good times. by the way, is there a more depressing place than the emergency room? My favorites last night were the guy who went to the bathroom every five minutes and puked so loud I thought he was ralphing up his shoes; followed by the lady who decided to wait not in the waiting room but in a dark room w/ the door closed, down the hall where no one could see she was doing drugs; and of course... the woman whom everyone in the emergency room knew by first name who was there because she slipped on the ice and hurt her butt.

Couple other notes. Not sure the Patriots will win this weekend but it seems pretty likely. The more the Giants keep yapping the higher the point spread should go. How did Plaxico Burress go from bench warmer, to poor man's Randy Moss, to guaranteeing a win and even citing a score?! I liked the Giants until they started talking shit... now i will be looking for the modified Manning face after hid fourth turnover, followed by the Burress disgusted face, followed by Tom Coughlin's head exploding! Can I get that parlay somewhere?

Not sure I get the whole Mets' trade for Johan Santana. Absolute steal for the Mets, makes them the NL favorite right now. The Twins on the other hand... They had 2 deals that were superior to the Mets' offer, from the Yanks and Sox. They hold out, and hold out, and hold out....and hold out, and then take the worst of three offers and the same one that had been on the table for months. This was possibly the worst negotiation ever (or second behind my Cuban cigar transaction in Mexico where I think I tripled the sellers offer). If you are a sports fan in Minnesota do you just move? Between the Vikings, Twins, and Timberwolves you have been screwed more times than Jenna Jameson... and now you have to watch your superstars turn their new teams into championship contenders while you live in lotteryland. Not good times.

Not too much mention of good ol' GW's unbelievable abuse of power as it relates to his use of "signing statements". Any time this guy doesn't like a law, he claims Constitutional authority to override it w/ one of these signing statements. if your president does not believe the law applies to him... where does the Executive/legislative checks & balances come in? Here's the latest
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2008/01/30/bush_asserts_authority_to_bypass_defense_act/

Giuliani... Edwards... we hardly knew ye! Maybe you can run on an independent ticket together? You know, the Suck Party, or the We Got A Little Ahead Of Ourselves Party, or the We Bet the Farm On Florida, i Guess We Didn't Think People in Florida Read The News party?

So if you will excuse me, I need to go take some ibuprofen and wrap a heating pad around my hammy.

No comments: