Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Inspiration


Ok Ok... so I kno I just posted, and I know the title of this post calls for a picture of a cat falling out of a tree or a sunset or something but... I was cruising home and the radio had a little Pixies going and I started to think about inspiration. Music plays a huge part in my life, there is always some random tune going down in my head good, bad, silly... but always something. So I thought I would pay tribute to the people that brought certain music to my life.

Carrie C. - Phish and Primus. She was a crazy character and a wacko girlfriend but she added a little alternative to my buttoned up life.

N.L. actually a good girlfriend and just a good friend but f*ing country music?! Well, Garth Brooks has friends in low places and so do I, thanks Nik. but I will never forgive you for the "Boot Scootin' Boogie"!!!

Jon M. 3-11 and Sublime... even before he went to Cali... Jonny M. brought Cali to us, thanks bro!

Puma - Dead- while Otter nonsense really embraced the Dead, it was the Pume who brought it to me. Hippy!

Matt M. from Pearson fame... Hendrix "Machine Gun"... WHOA!

Sully and Sig Ep - the Police- partying in a whole new arena

Mike M. one night after a bit of ingestion... the Beatles "Ride a Pony" seriously blew my mind. Mike you have always been on the cutting edge and been a musical inspiration to my lady who has been a musical teacher to me.

Tom R. high school neighbor wwho always played AC DC. I was a little kid and it got me VT fired up for metal!

Mum - all classical... the intracacy, the power, the beauty. like my mum, classy, strong, and timeless.

Mark and Karen W. - Jazz. when I was a kid they had a cool finished basement w/ hundreds of jazz records that were always spinning. They were the coolest uncool people ever.

... and now the top 3!

Otter Nonsense - MFO, if you are reading you have been a huge and very odd influence... Pixies, Dead beyond the greatest hits, Blind Melon beyond the bee outfit ("Soup" is one of my top 10 alltime albums), Pink Floyd early early early pre acid Sid Barrett freakout... there were so many tunes and so many tweaked out nights were you were willing to put those crazy tunes on... expanded the way I think about music, thanks.

My Special Lady - The Boss- loving "The Rising" as a top 10 all time fave. Dan Bern, Elvis, De La Soul... so many others. For one, my wife is Brooklyn born and bred so she has such a different and varried musical experience to bring to the table. Two, her folks were sixties hippies and bring tons of cool old school music I had previously dismissed to the table. Three, she has such a love of music and sophisticated mind, she brings a whole new experience to the game.

Papa Bird - alwyas had the records spinning or the tapes rolling. My dad loves it all, and gave me the bug. Fleetwood Mac? CHECK! Journey? CHECK! Chicago (70S style) CHECK! Elton John? You F*ing Bet! Plus. Van Halen, Heart, Genesis, Styx, Allman Bros., Gordon Lightfoot, Jim Croce, Kinks, Pink Floyd, Grand Funk... my dad listened to it all and gave it all to us. i have his record collection and he still passes on all of his CDs... My musical adventure begins and ends w/ the old man!

So there you have it... play your tunes for everyone you know, they may love it, they may hate it, but they will always remember where they heard it first!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol! I sort of blocked that music memory out! Thanks for bringing it up. Music is one of my many memories of you.. I remember slow dancing in your driveway to the Beatles. You were a good boyfriend. You and your special lady seem like a great match-she is a lucky lady too! Isn't carrie who ultimately dumped me for? Nice. XOXOX

J-Bird said...

I must have been heavily medicated?