Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Jay About the Istanbul Kebab House



I stopped by the IKH today for a bit of lunch and to check out the scene. They moved into the old Bierehause or however it is spelled spot and I was nervous. The location for whatever reason has not been a hot spot and the layout of the space is kind of tough. I used to like the German beers but it was never in the front of my mind and anytime we stopped by it was usually pretty empty.

Anywho... The new space is nice. I did not go upstairs but they designed the downstairs area in a clean, cozy, nice spot to eat a meal. I was surprised at the crowd. It was very full and almost exclusively an older professional crowd, the type that I see congregating for Cuban flute night at the Flynn but not at any of the local watering holes downtown? I bellied up to the bar and got down to business. Service is prompt and pleasant but not real chatty. I asked the host/bartender a few questions and English was not his first (or possibly 3rd) language. He was nice enough though and maybe just didn't care to chat with a bozo like myself. I opted for the lamb kebab wrap. I am a sucker for lavash bread and prefer it to rice. The lamb was well seasoned and pretty tender with just a couple fatty bites. The pickled cabbage was a nice texture/flavor component and the yogurt sauce was very nice as well. The whole thing was delicious, came out pretty fast, and was very reasonably priced. Kebab and a beer for $16? Hard to beat that for a hot sit down meal. A large party came in as I was finishing up. Another good sign.

Hey, how about 1 2/3 thumbs up (clean up that website).

No comments: