Thursday, February 19, 2015

How About That Sturgill Simpson





Last night my special lady and I had date night. We grabbed a bite at the bar of The Guild and then cruised over to Higher Ground to check out a new age country singer Sturgill Simpson.  I have reviewed the Guild several times before so no need to get into the weeds but it was excellent. Very good service including the host who was hustling big time. The drinks were well made and delicious and the food was also great. It was packed on a Wednesday night. Packed. We were very pleasantly surprised by the whole experience.

On to Sturgill. Well, I think I went in with my expectations a little high. I had been watching Youtube videos and was expecting a pretty high energy situation. The guy said he was sick and maybe that was the case. The music was fine but there was no soul, no fire. It seemed like they were just cashing a check and not super happy to be there. It is amazing the voice that comes out of that little guy and the band is obviously pretty talented but Simpson mumbled the words to songs and they really only unleashed on two tunes. Overall it was fine, nothing I would recommend though the tickets were only $15 a piece so for that I guess it was worth the price of admission. The whole thing was over by 10:30PM by the way.

Fun little post game at the Upper Deck pub at the Windjammer. Pretty decent nachos and cold beer. Nice work Upper Deck Pub!

No comments: