Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Jay About Captain America: the Winter Soldier



So I had a little time to myself the other day and decided to hit up a movie. I was running errands in Williston so that seemed like as good a place as any to grab lunch and a movie. I stopped quickly at the bar of  Mcgillicuddys and grabbed a beer and a Reuben. They have their house corned beef and as it is an Irish themed place I decided to take a run at it. Delicious actually. The corned beef was flavorful and seemed real almost like mom used to make. Melty thousand island dressing and sauerkraut made the whole thing a hit. Service was very solid and the prices were reasonable. There are also like 48 TVs so watching a game is no problem. If you find yourself in the food wasteland of Williston and are looking for a bite, feel free to give this place a run. http://www.mcgillicuddysirishalehouse.com/

Next Stop, Captain America. I really liked it. I like comic book movies, sue me. To be fair I did not really care for the first Captain America movie and the character in general is not one of my favorites. That said this second one was packed w/ action and the story was pretty reasonable. People may talk it up like a big espionage thriller but set the bar realistically... this is no Tom Clancy special. It has a few predictable twists but the predictability does not take away from a fun movie. I liked Robert Redford and Scarlett Johansen and even Chris Evans. Do I wish the bad guy had not been Chaz in Hot Tub Time Machine? Sure, and he has a giant forehead but whatever. 1 2/3rds thumbs up. See it on the big screen, do yourself that solid.

On the flipside of the movie coin is Anchorman 2 which I rented last night. I loved the first Anchorman and I like that type of dumb humor. I was willing to like any facsimile of the original. This movie however sucked balls. It was in fact one of the worst most unfunny movies I have ever seen. I fast forwarded through part of the second half and would have bailed all together if I had not paid $5 for the pleasure of a warm dump on my TV. They went too far making caricatures of caricatures. It did not work and jokes were not funny. The performances were mailed in, the story was not clever. Even the anchor fight scene fell flat. The only redeeming quality was Paul Rudd doing his Brian Fantana which was close to humorous. Close. 2 huge thumbs down. Don't even bother if it is free.

No comments: