Monday, March 17, 2014

Erin Go Bragh... Brah!



Get it? For the Bros, or Brahs... ok, whatever... apparently we are saying it wrong anyway, should be Éirinn go Brách. In any event, Happy Saint Patrick's Day. I hope you all are celebrating the fact you are not actually very Irish but drinking a disgusting green dyed American beer that came from Germany. Saint Patrick likely would not give a shit as long as you got those motherf*ing snakes off this motherf*ing plane!!!! I like this holiday, it is one of my favorites. There is no pressure to get gifts or be thoughtful, you just have a bit of fun.  BTW, good for Guinness pulling out of the NY parade over the stance of sexual equality. I am pretty sure there are gay people in Ireland so you should probably let them walk.

So my special lady and I sent the kids down to the grandparents and had a nice date weekend. We hiked the Stowe Pinnacle which was fun despite the rain/heavy snow/rain, went out for a drink at Hen of the Wood which was lovely and then had dinner at L'Amante which was also quite nice. The grilled sardine appetizer was the big hit narrowly edging out the always stellar bolognese. We then headed back home stopping at the Cafe Shelburne, under new ownership and with a dedication to be a little more inviting and informal but keep the high standards of well prepared French fare. We were immediately concerned by the near empty parking lot. More so by the bartender who was reading a book and seemed surprised when we asked to sit at the bar. We ordered a drink and she had to search the place for a drink menu. Not a good sign. After a long wait she finally banged out my cocktail which was actually quite good and well balanced. A main component was absinthe which can go very wrong but was solid in this instance. It was worse for the people who had to wait forever to get their martinis poured. If I were them I might have left. There were only 3 full tables... at 8:45PM on a Saturday. We ordered a lemon ginger creme brulee and it was very nice. The hint of ginger was delicious and not fake or weirdly overpowering. The menu for dinner looked good and the space was nice. Service was slow but friendly. I hope the place makes it but I am fearful that they are not getting the word out enough. If you have a chance stop by, it is worth a taste I think and I look forward to a longer meal.

The next day we cleaned and cooked with no distractions. That is a good day for me these days, folding laundry with no one bothering me. Well it is also funny that my son apparently seems to be calling trucks a word that sounds suspiciously like cock, or caulk... I'm not entirely sure.

No comments: