Friday, October 11, 2013

Jay About Rosebank Farms Cafe



This past week I traveled down to our southern office for some work and play.  There were several highlights including gators on the golf course, warm weather, excellent Costco chicken salad (seriously, it was good), Firefly and lemonade, among other things.  The real winner for me though was the Rosebank.  Billed as quite fancy by the big boss (very tongue in cheek), we rolled to a family hole in the wall in a mini strip mall on the river. The decor was cafeteria at best. Right away, even though I was still hung over I noticed interesting beer menu. Kiawah Island for some reason is a huge importer of Fat Tire from Colorado which is great. I had one of those and some other not great IPA from St Louis (where I am heading tomorrow). Anywho, we let the boss take care of ordering and went family style on a not so deep south menu. I started w/ the She Crab soup. While a little tepid in temperature, the Aged sherry and fresh crab roe soup was really quite nice. Creamy and well balanced w/out being over the top on butter and cream. Next up, fried green tomatoes. Big thick fresh tomats that were lightly breaded and fried and slathered in cottage cheesy pimento cheese.  Delicious. If you have not had pimento cheese it is really something. Apparently it has many different consistencies and can range from great to gross but this one was a little spicy and very flavorful. Loved it. For the main course we shared fried chicken with collard greens and smashed potatoes and cheesy grits w/ spicy shrimp and crawdads.  After I was revived from my heart attack I was able to remember excellent flavor. I wish the chicken was a little crispier but the flavor was nice, and the gravy was decadent. The collards were a little bitter but cut the grease nicely. Smashed potatoes w/ butter and cream?  Come on. The grits were cheesy, creamy, and the spicy shrimp were so f*ing good.  The whole thing was really quite delicious.

Of course the beer, liquor, and rich foods gave me terrible heart burn and possibly permanent artery damage but I loved it all. Reasonable prices, huge servings, friendly service... 1 6/8 thumbs up.

No comments: