Monday, October 21, 2013

Jay About Lucky Next Door



Forgive me for this post, I don't sleep these days so my "work" really suffers... That said, my folks came up to watch the kids on Sunday so my special lady and I went out on a lunch date. We were undecided on the right spot and then came upon the new venture from the people who brought you Pennycluse... Lucky Next Door. We immediately gave ourselves the timing rope. We would not wait longer than 20 minutes. Usually at the Cluse you can expect a 45hour wait on the weekend. You can put your name in, drive to Canada to shop, and come back later in the weekend to eat. Imagine our surprise when we stepped in and the place was empty?! There were literally 3 other patrons in the whole place. Not a great sign but f* it. The space is not huge but it is well decorated w/ a slightly industrial unfinished feel. They have a nice beer selection highlighted by a few Zero Gravity offerings.  There are a few solid cocktails offered as well. The menu is pretty concise w/ a brunch/lunch theme going on. I like a smaller menu. Stick to what you do well. We ordered a ham and apple sandwich and an avocado and hearts of palm salad to share. My lady had a delicious champagne and grapefruit juice cocktail. I ordered a beer. 12 or 20oz sir? Obviously he could not tell from my beard I was a 20oz man but whatever, I am a big boy... give me the big glass! We sat up near the window overlooking the Rite Aid which is the nexus of the Burlington junkie universe. The food came pretty quickly.  The salad had nice texture and was pretty good although pretty heavy handed on the garlicky dressing. The sandwich was very nice. Good flavor, nice ham (almost like a bacon cut), delicious cheese, and an accompanying cabbage salad which cut the heaviness of the sandwich well. Pretty reasonable cost. Service was eh, but not any worse than Pennycluse. I would like a slightly more robust scene but if it stayed an undiscovered gem I would be fine with that as well. 1 1/2 thumbs up to one of my new sit down lunch spots!

Bonus review for Apple/I-tunes. F*** them!!!!  I have rented 4 movies on my Apple TV. The first played ok. The second froze to load half way through the movie.  The third and fourth will not load. I called Apple and after being disconnected was told that they do not service I-Tunes.  Apple does not service Apple I-Tunes. The support for I-tunes was a 15+ minute wait. Emails went unanswered. I finally got through to support the next day after another long hold and got a refund. I still have not seen Iron Man 3.

No comments: