Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Jay About the Mule Bar



My folks came up to visit the kids this weekend affording my special lady and I the opportunity to get out run some errands and get a quick bite to eat.  We chose to head to the culinary center of the greater Burlington universe, Winooski, and check out the new Mule Bar.  The Mule Bar is a collaboration of the minds behind The Tree Penny Taproom and The Mad Taco.  We were pretty excited being big fans of the 3 Penny.  The space which previously held a nondescript but tasty Pho Pasteur was totally redone and looks quite clean and modern. I was a little disappointed in what looked like an abbreviated (only 15!) beer list but my wife pointed out that it was well curated.  The menu is pretty high concept and heavy.  There are daily oysters, cheese and charceuterie features.  We were a little overwhelmed so we went simple w/ a sunchoke soup and a burger.  The soup was fantastic. It was creamy, well balanced, and had excellent flavor.  The burger was a nicely cooked medium-rare (actually more medium but that is ok w/ me), and was pretty good but very salty. I didn't mind as we were sharing.  The onions were a nice touch and the bun was good.  The fries were also excellent.  I think we got stiffed on aoli and they were pretty skimpy w/ the ketchup.  My lady had a Maine Beer co Peeper which is an excellent beer.  I had a Lawson's collaboration w/ some group.  It was a smoky maple lager and was like most Lawson's... overrated. I always get sucked in and then regret my choice.  The beers are fine but how they get their cult status is way beyond me, there are many better options out there. I opted for a dark and stormy made w/ Gosling's dark rum and Rookie's ginger beer and that was very appealing looking and an excellent cocktail. We then finished w/ a cinnamon creme caramel w/ maple syrup. It was excellent. Overall, the service was good, the food was good not great, the drinks were solid, the atmosphere was good.  1 2/3rds thumbs up.  I love the Noosk!

No comments: