Friday, March 9, 2012

Jay About to Pass the F*** Out!

I spent the week in NYC in a series of meetings, I am exhausted.  Of course, rather than coming home and taking it easy... I went out for a super rich dinner and late night beers.  Sure, why not.  Needless to say I feel like poop.  We ate last night at the newish Bluebird Tavern in Burlington.  It was good but very heavy.  There was a bacon filled sausage that was mushy but had nice flavor. The baked Mac&Cheese was nice.  I made my big mistake by going w/ the meat pie in a butter crust for dinner.  Sure, it tasted delicious but I am paying for it today, who knew Montezuma cast his terrible revenge in a meat pie?

In New York my culinary highlight was the sushi joint Soto at I think 357 6th ave, down in the 20s or so.  When you get there it looks very sparse and sterile but I will tell you what, it was delicious!  Very fresh tasting fish and some inventive ideas.  You have to like sea urchin that is the only thing.  I like it but don't love it.  They do a nice job w/ the uni but it is still a challenging dish.  The lobster salad w/ uni is off the charts.  The seared scottish salmon w/ black truffle salt and miso mustard was very nice.  The sweet shrimp was good.  The fluke w/ ponzu was great.  Everything was really very good.  If you are looking for sushi in the city... go ahead and give it a run.

I guess that is about it.  I might have some more smarmy comments next week.  For now I have to go bid goodbye to more meat pie.

2 comments:

Global View said...

I was there Weds night and had the clam appetizer and the tenderloin with the Roasted vegetables. I thought it was 1st rate but the meat was a bit overpriced.

J-Bird said...

yeah, I can't dissagree there. I usually try to pass on the steak, it is just too pricey and gives me heartburn. Did I forget about the cockles? We had those as well, and they were good.