Monday, June 21, 2010

Jay About the Upper Valley


So it being Father's Day as well as my brother's birthday, I packed up the tribe... oh wait there are only 2 of us... anyway we drove south to the Upper Valley to celebrate with the family. On Friday my special lady and I were pretty wiped out but we decided to grab a bite over at the Canoe Club in Hanover, NH. The space is pretty nice, seems like a cool bar & restaurant but not at all pretentious. Friday was local high school graduation so it was pretty loud but not in a bad way. They also had a decent acoustic live guitar player doing his thing. Dinner itself was actually very good. We started w/ a nice beet salad and an asparagus soup. Both were good, fresh. For our entrees I went with the halibut special, braised in a nice tomato and veggie broth. It was also clean, fresh, and had very nice subtle flavors. My lady went with the curry shrimp which was out of sight! The curry was amazing, sweet, spicy but not heavy handed or overpowering. I kind of wanted to steal it from here. The one criticism was the bathroom which had a leaking ceiling and puke on the toilet... Otherwise, 1 3/4 thumbs up. Solid food, service, and beer list. Really very good.

Another quick review is the Oar House down in Portsmouth. We were cruising around the town checking it out and getting a little ocean air and decided to grab some chow. This place is solid. They are right on the water in the bay downtown. The setting is casual, red checker tablecloth type stuff. The food is solid seafood though. My folks had some bacon wrapped scallops they enjoyed, and A-bird and I had oysters which were nice and served with really good horseradish and cocktail sauce. For our main course we all went w/ lobster rolls which were huge rolls filled with giant chunks of awesome lobster. I was not a huge fan of the pineapple coleslaw but it was ok. The fries were limp. Overall I'd give it 1 1/2 thumbs up. Good place to chill, eat some fast seafood, and drink a beer.

Tomorrow... the ice cream trip from hell/Walmart!!!!!

No comments: