Friday, February 19, 2010

Triple Axel Time!!!


I have to admit, I have never exactly been a huge fan of the Olympics and the winter Olympics really were not on my radar. This year though I am all up in the Vancouver mix!! Overall I have enjoyed the games even though by all accounts Vancouver has been a shit show this year, from the torch lighting snafu to the ice clearing mess, and of course a guy died! A few quick thoughts... that downhill ski course is insane! I loved watching the women's downhill because the ones who made it were great and so fast, and on the flip side there were some great crashes! Men's snowboard half pipe is much better than the women, they just get much more air. Shawn White may be a giant douche but he is a great snowboarder. Most snowboarders are douchey anyway (and I am a boarder) so I guess it goes w/ the territory. I watched a youtube video of pairs ice skating wipeouts. It is a pretty intense sport when you think about it, girls flying in the air above super hard ice, spinning around w/ someone else's skate spinning feet from your face! I have been watching and have a whole new appreciation. I especially enjoyed the pair is the super tight shiny blue outfits. You really need to be dressed like a freak if the announcers say your outfits are inappropriate in that sport. Men's solo skating is like a $2 bill though. Nice pink sparkly sweater vest d-bag! The moguls are pretty crazy too. How do you not blow out a knee on every run? It is such impact! Luge? Uh, yeah, kind of dangerous. Olympic hockey is great too. And curling? It is the best thing I have ever seen (while at work, pretending to, uh, I mean working super hard!!). I am enjoying it all, 2 thumbs up.


On a separate note, we tried out the new chef at The Daily Planet last week. The food was pretty good. I had a short rib sloppy joe that I liked. The gnocchi was good, there was also a very rich but flavorful polenta dish. The one downside is that the service while nice was slow as molasses... 30 minutes before we got our first beer. Oh yeah, the room we were in was about 102 degrees as well. Overall pretty good, may make it into the rotation 1 1/2 thumbs up. We also had brunch at the Bluebird Tavern on Sunday which I really enjoyed. I had a fantastic sticky bun, and then a very solid mushroom toast w/ a poached egg (slightly underdone). My special lady a shrimp and grits that was a little too rich for a main course, she was only so so on it. Another good showing though and the place was pretty busy. Good form.


And boom goes the dynamite!


No comments: