Monday, February 9, 2009

Jay About Top 5 Lists


2 Posts in 1 day? Is this the best day ever? Yup! So what might prompt such a fine showing from Jay? Well, the special lady, myself, and a good friend KS hit up the Alchemist for lunch on Saturday and it got me thinking... "I been everywhere, still I'm standing tall I've seen a million faces an Ive rocked them all"! I have also been to and reviewed a bunch of places in VT and was thinking about which ones I thought really made it happen for me. So with that I present to you the Jay About Town Top 5 Vermont Eateries!

5. Tiny Thai. Essex/Winooski, VT. 2 locations, both ultra casual. This is everything you want in Asian cuisine, American style. It is cheap, it is fast, and it is bring your own booze! The food is very good, I am a huge fan of the drunken noodles but try it all, you really can't go wrong. The service is efficient and friendly. Great place to take your date for $20 of delicious chow!
4. American Flatbread. Burlington, VT. Easy, casual, but delicious. Another joint w/ an extensive and well put together beer list. This place is constantly packed and for good reason. Anytime you just want to hang w/ friends and have a 1/2 "bread" and a couple beers this place makes it happen. Not too expensive and very friendly so it is fantastic for families, college kids, and everything in or out between.
3. Simon Pierce. Quechee, VT. The last couple meals have not been as good as my usual experiences... but the bar had been set pretty high. Extensive wine list, very good and sometimes great food, courteous service... and one of the best views out there. When you add in the house mad blown glassware and homemade pottery, you have a winner. Expensive but versatile, good for brunch, lunch, and dinner.
2. Hen of the Wood. Waterbury, VT. To be fair, I have eaten here twice and both times came away impressed. I think this is the best food I have eaten in Vt but it is pretty expensive and pretty formal so it is not for every occasion. Great wine list and if you do not try the short ribs, well, there is nothing I can do for you frankly. Service is well mannered, friendly, and professional. Great experience.
1. The Alchemist. Waterbury, VT. This place nails it every time. I am a huge fan of the casual pub experience and this one is great. You could probably count the number of brewpubs that actually make good non-flat beer on 1 hand. Love the beer here, especially the Holy Cow. The food is also great. The burgers are delicious, the pulled pork quite good, even the rice and beans is good. Add in home made catsup, beer cheese dip w/ pretzels, and the sweet potato fries. I commend you Alchemist.

So there, you have it, one man's humble opinion. Don't like my choices? Let me hear it! Where should I go? What should I try again? Is there a local dish I have missed that would swing my vote? Should I try steroids, will that enhance my eating performance?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pssst...it's called Simon Pearce not Franklin Pierce. That's the 14th President/University in NH. (Thanks, Google!)

And besides the glassware and setting, I demote the food to average at best...

-Mrs. Bird.

J-Bird said...

dang... no defense for me being a moron