Thursday, October 2, 2014

Jay About the King Street Deli



The King Street Deli has been open for a while now but I had been reluctant to go in. The location borders on dicey and you certainly can meet some interesting people on their stoops there but that was not the reason. I like a little spice in my food and a down home sandwich holds solid appeal. The real issue is a coworker told me the sandwiches were small and overpriced. I already have plenty of those options in the rotation (less 1 w/ the recent Guild Meat Market closing). So what brought me back around? Trusted sources at supper club got me in the mix. So this week I wandered over to give it a whirl. The place was not crowded (maybe 1 other person waiting) as I had gone early-ish. It is a a neighborhood deli/market no doubt. They have an array of necessities like PB&J, jello, paper towels, coffee filters, cheap chips. It is actually probably more useful on a regular basis than the Brick Store in Charlotte. There were a few sandwich choices but I went with the Royal Italian. You can tell a lot about a sandwich place from the Italian they produce. It was a long wait. Really long. I spent some time perusing the beer cooler which had anything from 4-Loko (thought those were illegal?) to a nice selection of upscale IPAs. It was an interesting and pretty solid fridge. I noticed several cases of Bud Ice tallboys next to the cooler which seemed a little odd. Until the slightly older petite woman came in and took down 3. It was 11:30AM. Strong to very strong start to the day. Wednesday. My sandwich finally was ready. It was pretty large and had a nice ratio of meat. Price was reasonable for the size. They did a nice job dressing it so the oil and vinegar was present but not greasy. The meat was fresh and pretty good. Veggies seemed pretty fresh. The bread was not outstanding but ok. Overall it was a pretty good sandy much in the spirit of The Pine Street Deli or a slightly up market version of the old Mad Hatter. I'd give it 1 1/4 thumbs up. It is close and I will go back.

I am not that sorry Guild Meat Market going away... great maple donut, but the sandwiches were really expensive and only ok. If I am going to pay up I prefer Mirabelle's or Stacks.

I watched this video above the other day and really liked it.

No comments: