Thursday, September 27, 2012

Jay About Handy's



Not that kind of handy perv!  Handy's the diner over on Maple and S. Champlain in Burlington.  I have driven past the place a thousand times and in a moment of inspiration decided to try it for lunch. I thought I might get a sandwich to go but it really is more of a sit down spot.  There is one big U shaped lunch bar w/ stools in the middle of the room.  When I cruised in a little before noon I was the only patron.  A 90 yr old "waitress" or something was at the far end by the kitchen snacking and reading the paper.  Then a crazy lady in her early 40s but looking like 70 cruised in and sat down.  How do I know her age?  Well, she did not shut the f*** up the entire time she was there and said she graduated high school in '88.  Must have gone on to beauty school afterwards.  She had a brutal fake tan, heavy hooker blue eye shadow, pink lipstick, long two tone navy blue nails, and a Cruella Deville two tone white and brown hair-do.  It was something.  Soon the place filled all the way up.  This was truly an old school experience, people all chimed in on conversations around the bar, the main guy seemed to know everyone by name, he paid careful attention to folks who needed it (2 year olds and morons w/ a fake tan), and it seemed very homey.  The menu was expansive and I was a little overwhelmed.  I went w/ a Patty melt.  They slopped butter w/ a brush onto marble rye and then fried it up on the griddle.  This surrounded a decent burger patty, American cheese, and thousand island dressing.  I topped it off w/ shoestring fries and a Coke.  I nearly had a heart attack eating it but the food was pretty good.  Not great but a nice diner experience and as you could see the kitchen it seemed pretty clean.  The fries were well cooked and not soggy and the sandwich also held up well, especially considering the heavy butter load.  The meal itself was cheap, $9.95.  I gave the guy a $20 and he gave me $10.50 back.  I only had a single dollar and the nickel for a tip but that is what the guy next to me left as well so I guess that was ok.  Overall it was a pretty good lunch and if I live I will go back. Pretty sure Cruella was giving Hand's out back post lunch as well so if that is your thing there you go.

**I have subsequently learned that I was waited on by Earl Handy who is the third generation running the joint and a nice guy, so there is another reason to check it out.

No comments: