Monday, September 22, 2008

Jay About Cooperstown




The special lady A-bird and I went to a wedding of a good friend this weekend in Cooperstown and let me tell you something... there were a ton of cocks and pussies there!!! there were pigs, and cows, and other animals too. It was on a farm! I am ashamed of you for even thinking that way! ASHAMED!!! Anyway, it was a beautiful wedding and alot of fun. We had a bunch of really good friends there and the setting was very nice. The food was good and the booze was plentiful. The ceremony was pretty short and very heartfelt. I am giving it 2 thumbs up. Cooperstown is an interesting town. It is baseball crazy. There is the hall of fame of course, but then on the main strip there is a baseball memorabilia store every other storefront. I am not exaggerating... at all. Seriously. We stayed a a nice historic inn, The Cooper Inn. Rooms were nice and clean, bed was comfy, fine water pressure.

Friday night got a little ugly. We did a number on the scotch at the pre-rehearsal dinner reception, and then had a few beers/glasses of wine at dinner. Tons of speeches, ran a little long. Our friends are in the biz out in L.A., I don't want to belabor the point but needless to say there was a lot of hair product and skinny jeans. My clack sport coat and dress slacks (and then power blue pinstripe suit on Saturday) just didn't quite seem to fit in. I have been know to be a fashion maverick though. So back to Friday night. After dinner we headed downstairs to the bar at the Otesaga hotel. It was split in 2 parts, 1 part was a small bar filled w/ fat dudes attending a sportscaster/insurance conference. When we showed up w/ women it was a scene straight out of a National Geographic special, heads turned and it felt like a pack of hyenas was about to descend on the helpless ladyfolk! Fun aside, Robert Wuhl, aka Arliss, was there as a guest speaker. Man, did he look bored as hell entertaining a bunch of fat drunk sportscaster wanna-bees. Next door was a dance floor w/ a decent band and only 1 couple dancing... and a fat guy passed out in his chair in the corner. Once the wedding party rolled in we got that party started though. And kept it going to town where we rocked out at 2 of the most skeevy dive bars I have ever been in. Hey, I love dive bars, but when we walked in the first place, Puma and I took stock of the available pool cues and tried to decide how many guys we might have to fight to get out of there. One big fat ya-yo bought us a round of drinks figuring the 6-2 women to men ratio of our party might work in his favor. A total makeover, $100K, and roofies might not have made that trade work for him but thanks for the beer, "Karl"!

Saturday was a little rough waking up, but Puma and I woke up early and played golf at the Otesaga course. Really beautiful course. We played w/ 2 lovely LPGA honeys. just kidding, pretty sure they were not pros! We hacked around a bit but had alot of fun. The 18th is a brutal par 5 where you tee off from a platform and have to hit over water but not too far or you put it in other water. Then all you have to do is get the ball another 285 yards to the green. Yeah, I got a birdie! *disclaimer, that is a complete lie. Toughest greens I have ever encountered on that course. I am still dreaming about 3-putts. Then it was on to the wedding. Great time.

As I have run on a bit I will finish w/ the brief restaurant reviews. Alex Ika Restaurant... great food, great beer, mellow atmosphere, so-so service. 1 3/4 thumbs up. Try the local 3 Philosophers beer, delicious. I also really enjoyed the roast duck salad on a croissant, it was fantastic. The other place we grabbed lunch from was Danny's Deli and Cafe. Great sandwiches...brutal wait. I give it 1 thumb up. I really like my Italian sandwich but I don't care how fancy it is, if I have to wait 15 minute for a sandwich I had better get a free beer and a massage while I wait! So there you have it, Cooperstown, give it a look!

Coming soon... a guest blog from the Puma!

No comments: